Onshore Wind Generation costs now at 3.3 cent per kw/h or less.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cirrus

A nice little site showing various energy stats in real time: https://app.electricitymaps.com/map

OP
OP
albion

albion

Veteran
There was a discussion a day or so ago, on radio 4 I think, and the two guests asked for their solution.
Nick Clegg, I think it was, straight away barked abiut the madness òf blocking cheap on shore wind whilst the right wing guest said fracking, whilst actual admitting it might be a dead end, which it is so far in the UK.

Interestingly this madness that is now costing us big goes back years. Conservatives wanted to maintain house prices.
https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2013/09/16/lib-dems-attack-tory-policy-on-renewables/
That 2013 item mentions the study on Cornwall and thus 2nd homes.
2014 Clegg blocked Camerons 1st attempt to stifle onshore.
https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2013/09/16/lib-dems-attack-tory-policy-on-renewables/

So where we are now, the worlds cheapest energy is in the UK at minimal levels, another anti levelling up policy costing every one of us thousands,
What is also noticeably sad is that places like Cornwall have a promising future as centres of hydrogen production, excess, thus free, energy use from wind and solar farms the only logical way forward.

Today is exactly 6 months into the major crisis with government doing almost exactly zero. It takes 3 months to build onshore and thus they could have offset the coming 50p per KW and future rises in a very significant way.

B******s !

Last edited:

Rusty Nails

Country Member
This escalation in power bills is bound to increase the demand for solar panels, although I understand the price of panel installation is already increasing.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Veteran
It is very sad and unfortunate that the only dots the current lot are capable of are personal greenback ones.
Whilst nationalisation is not an easy step, state ownership of all new energy seems the only way to move forward in a joined up fashion.

https://www.iea.org/reports/the-future-of-hydrogen
That report highlights the fact that moving to hydrogen using very cheap green is a 'growing option' for those like the UK with abundant green availability.

Getting rid of the current dangerous political appointees, and using a 'state of emergency' national ownership of new wind and even new solar could be done incredibly quickly , with prices to business and household falling rapidly.
With the world in such a dangerous political state, finance and security means green energy is now many times cheaper than any other supply. With the use of green hydrogen 100% green can be done incredibly quick too.

I read somewhere that we get 25% of our electricity from wind. 1000% is possible making us a future hydrogen exporter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
albion

albion

Veteran
It is interesting to see where they got their 3p per kw/h costs from.
Web info suggests buying a Wind Turbine costs about $350,000 per mw/h China and $700,000 EU.
Prices are obviously likely to rise but from those, assuming you get 50% of required wind thence it is as low as $700,000 per mw/h.
That is $700 to buy 8760 kw of generation a year.

So, ignoring, very small compared to offshore , massive installation costs then the 1st year costs under 10 cents per kwh with each successive year free. There is stuff like delivery loss to think about but it does look incredibly cheap.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Web info suggests buying a Wind Turbine costs about $350,000 per mw/h China and $700,000 EU.
Prices are obviously likely to rise but from those, assuming you get 50% of required wind thence it is as low as $700,000 per mw/h.

So, ignoring, very small compared to offshore , massive installation costs then the 1st year costs under 10 cents per kwh with each successive year free. There is stuff like delivery loss to think about but it does look incredibly cheap.

Isn’t there ANY maintenance costs? Two onshore wind turbines on one of my regular cycle routes have caught fire, over the past couple of years.

Beebo

Veteran
Isn’t there ANY maintenance costs? Two onshore wind turbines on one of my regular cycle routes have caught fire, over the past couple of years.

There’s loads of maintenance costs and the sails have a finite life span.
It isn’t as simple as suggested.
But I agree that one shore wind would be a sensible option.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
There’s loads of maintenance costs and the sails have a finite life span.
It isn’t as simple as suggested.
But I agree that one shore wind would be a sensible option.

Yes, I don’t doubt it either, was just objecting to the failure to give a complete picture.

As presented, it is like proposing Nuclear and omitting de-commissioning costs.

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Load factor is nothing like 50%. And that's in Scotland, the windy end of GB.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Veteran
Luckily it is windier when needed. And I did factor in for 50%. As to costs, if it can near pay vor itself in 12 months then there is leeway for once in probably 20 year blade failure.

You do realise those published levellised costs probably include everything?
Out of the to be 50 per kw/h everyone pays from October, there is 40p wind profit being shared around.

You might call that profit 'business', but as is much of uk business is now competitive and/or unviable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom