Populism - a guide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Guru
"...one of Downing Street's newer recruits [is] David Canzini, a former colleague of Lynton Crosby. Canzini's instructions to his cohorts have a daunting clarity: 'Find the wedge issues in your department and hammer them.' The concept of the 'wedge issue' has been familiar in Australia and the US for twenty years or so, but is rather new in the UK. The trick is to find a policy which repels the minority who were never going to vote for you but which will harden and broaden your support with the majority, who are no longer the silent majority because you are speaking up for them. This is the technique practised by populists everywhere - Trump, Bolsonaro, Erdoğan, Orbán. Whether the proposed policy actually works is beside the point; the question is whether it drives the wedge into the right place. Lord Sidmouth would have understood perfectly. He only lacked the name for it."

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
"...one of Downing Street's newer recruits [is] David Canzini, a former colleague of Lynton Crosby. Canzini's instructions to his cohorts have a daunting clarity: 'Find the wedge issues in your department and hammer them.' The concept of the 'wedge issue' has been familiar in Australia and the US for twenty years or so, but is rather new in the UK. The trick is to find a policy which repels the minority who were never going to vote for you but which will harden and broaden your support with the majority, who are no longer the silent majority because you are speaking up for them. This is the technique practised by populists everywhere - Trump, Bolsonaro, Erdoğan, Orbán. Whether the proposed policy actually works is beside the point; the question is whether it drives the wedge into the right place. Lord Sidmouth would have understood perfectly. He only lacked the name for it."

Just to be clear, I did a "like", because I thought your post was a good explanation of the technique, not because I agreed with, or, approved of the technique, or it's application, or, indeed "populists".

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
Just to be clear, I did a "like", because I thought your post was a good explanation of the technique, not because I agreed with, or, approved of the technique, or it's application, or, indeed "populists".

But wasn't that Farage's technique - the very same playbook - of which you do approve?

BoldonLad

But wasn't that Farage's technique - the very same playbook - of which you do approve?

Yes, aren’t people strange.

Or

Nigel applied the technique very well, so well, the opposition really struggled. It wasn’t Farage’s technique, he didn’t invent it, but, he used it to pretty devastating effect, sadly (IMHO).

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire

A sneakingly cynical admiration of totally unprincipled lying con men , who manage to persuade large numbers of people to commit an act of self destruction .

Is part of the problem.

That's the problem fairly well laid out..

The solution, a large part of which will require better political education, and engagement, is harder to achieve.

Two big factors here in UK, an overly powerful, and largely unchallenged populist media, and our polarised fptp electoral system .

It feels like we're a bit stuck with both.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
A sneakingly cynical admiration of totally unprincipled lying con men , who manage to persuade large numbers of people to commit an act of self destruction .

Is part of the problem.

The solution, a large part of which will require better political education, and engagement, is harder to achieve.

Two big factors here in UK, an overly powerful, and largely unchallenged populist media, and our polarised fptp electoral system .

Did he hold a gun to their heads when they voted then?? Cause i cant remember anyone doing that to me when i voted

BoldonLad

Is part of the problem.

Indeed. If only we had someone who could organise themselves, exploit the system and bring about change... beat them at their own game even....

Did he hold a gun to their heads when they voted then?? Cause i cant remember anyone doing that to me when i voted

It’s possible you have deeply considered and perfectly valid reasons for voting as you did. Hard to tell, really.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
It’s possible you have deeply considered and perfectly valid reasons for voting as you did. Hard to tell, really.

Thats not what i asked

Mugshot

Über Member
Guns are not the only option.

1657978381521.jpeg

Top Bottom