Prince Andrew

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Shaman
Currently Lolling at Charles extolling his mother's virtues, telling us that she devoted herself to serving us.

Errr...no.

What she devoted herself to was shoring up entrenched privilege, growing her family's wealth at our expense, avoiding scrutiny, whilst perpetuating the myth of monarchy.

What did she actually do for the nation? What tangible things?

Nothing. Not one thing.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Currently Lolling at Charles extolling his mother's virtues, telling us that she devoted herself to serving us.

Errr...no.

What she devoted herself to was shoring up entrenched privilege, growing her family's wealth at our expense, avoiding scrutiny, whilst perpetuating the myth of monarchy.

Nothing. Not one thing.

Exactly like most of us, I would suspect ;)

multitool

Shaman
Exactly like most of us, I would suspect ;)

I disagree.

There are lots of people who do things for fellow citizens, whether it be at an extremely local level running food banks, community shops, clubs etc right up to national level.

The difference is these people don't get to vet and reject parliamentary laws that they feel would financially disadvantage them. Nor do they live a life of luxury at the taxpayer's expense whilst themselves paying zero income tax (unless they choose to make a gesture) and zero inheritance tax. Nor do these people have the liquid funds to pay their offsprings way out of accusations of sex crimes.

I cannot think of one single tangible thing the Queen achieved for the nation. Possibly some untangible 'soft power' things...but these are exactly the same 'soft power' things carried out successfully by heads of state in other countries.

She didn't even carry out her constitutional duties correctly as she allowed Johnson to unlawfully shut down parliament.

It's a massive con trick cloaked up in pomp and ceremony to fool known idiots like our mutual sallow friend.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

I disagree.

There are lots of people who do things for fellow citizens, whether it be at an extremely local level running food banks, community shops, clubs etc right up to national level.

The difference is these people don't get to vet and reject parliamentary laws that they feel would financially disadvantage them. Nor do they live a life of luxury at the taxpayer's expense whilst themselves paying zero income tax (unless they choose to make a gesture) and zero inheritance tax. Nor do these people have the liquid funds to pay their offsprings way out of accusations of sex crimes.

I cannot think of one single tangible thing the Queen achieved for the nation. Possibly some untangible 'soft power' things...but these are exactly the same 'soft power' things carried out successfully by heads of state in other countries.

She didn't even carry out her constitutional duties correctly as she allowed Johnson to unlawfully shut down parliament.

I refer you to the word "most" in my OP.

I did not say "all"

I am not a Royalist.

BoldonLad

I saw it. And I used it as a springboard to emphasise the distance between the dead monarch and her 'subjects', rather than something that looked like a similarity.

Well, monarch or not, there are lots of similarities with us lot (ie "her subjects") without taxing my brain too much, I can think of:

- born in the same way
- needs to breathe
- when alive, would have had a body temperature comparable to the rest of us
- needs to eat and drink
- needs to pee
- needs to crap
- died

In short, a human being, similar to the rest of us, including the various "people in high places" (eg priests, presidents, various "holy" persons).

Presidents is actually quite amusing, since it brings Trump and Putin into the circle of "the great and the good" ;)

Last edited:

multitool

Shaman
Well, monarch or not, there are lots of similarities with us lot (ie "her subjects") without taxing my brain too much, I can think of:

- born in the same way
- needs to breath
- needs to eat and drink
- needs to pee
- needs to crap
- died

The similarities are unimportant

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran

Errr...no.

Nothing. Not one thing.

Sour-faced republican rubbish, of course.

I never met the Queen, but I did cover several visits, so have seen her operate at close hand.

There is no doubt she could charm the birds from the trees - the faces of people she spoke to lit up.

So while she didn't do shifts in a food bank or help run a Scout group. she did meet thousands of people who did.

Those people were obviously made up by those visits.

You might think such people are stupid, but the fact remains they were inspired by the Queen to crack on with their community work.

That's just one thing she did for the country, thousands of times.

You might think such people are stupid, but the fact remains they were inspired by the Queen to crack on with their community work.
Is it really a fact? You think they’d have been less diligent or enthusiastic in their good deeds without her ‘inspiration’?

This is a woman that could have funded food banks for a year from her personal wealth without the tiniest blip on her bank statement, and people are supposed to be inspired to carry on rattling collecting boxes on the High Street?

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Sour-faced republican rubbish, of course.

I never met the Queen, but I did cover several visits, so have seen her operate at close hand.

There is no doubt she could charm the birds from the trees - the faces of people she spoke to lit up.

So while she didn't do shifts in a food bank or help run a Scout group. she did meet thousands of people who did.

Those people were obviously made up by those visits.

That's just one thing she did for the country, thousands of times.

That's more tenuous than tangible.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran
Visiting and smiling! That's me persuaded.

In totality over decades, that's a huge positive impact on the populace.

But sneerers will always sneer.

Is it really a fact? You think they’d have been less diligent or enthusiastic in their good deeds without her ‘inspiration’?

This is a woman that could have funded food banks for a year from her personal wealth without the tiniest blip on her bank statement, and people are supposed to be inspired to carry on rattling collecting boxes on the High Street?

It is a fact, as observed by me on several occasions.

You seem to think the Queen should donate a vast proportion of her money to charity.

Why pick on her?

Would you do the same?

That's more tenuous than tangible.

That's the nature of being the head of an organisation/figurehead.

Will Jeff Bezos be delivering your next Amazon parcel, or will Elon Musk bang the hubcaps on your new Tesla?

Of course not, but they still have a crucial role to play in their respective businesses.

TBH I think the late Queen was a bit of an outlier; she did have the effect on people that @Pale Rider asserts.

Her son, I think, is a reversion to norm.

That's true, the Queen had the title going for her and a truly remarkable cult of personality - a bit like Hitler in that respect.

Charles has the title of King, but next to nothing in the personality department.

The good news for him is Camilla, despite a very rocky start, does have a tiny sprinkle of stardust.

Longer term, William seems steady rather than spectacular, a bit like his father, but Kate, while she could never match the Queen, does have a great deal of whatever it is that makes a truly popular monarch.

Interesting, that in a country supposedly full of misogynists, it's the women who have most of the talent and therefore power in our Royal Family.

All of which is very bad news for the abolitionists on here who are all but guaranteed to die without seeing their wishes fulfilled.

Top Bottom