Private Eye, The Guardian & Issues of the Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Veteran
Whilst the Chiles column was certainly a WTF, there is only the smaller picture there.
The Guardian is almost all we have at the centre.

So she prefers News Corp.

D

Deleted member 49

They played more than there part at the last election in the smearing of Corbyn.The journalists involved knew they were pedaling those lies and chose to carry on.Do they have some decent journalists ? Obviously although I notice a few I liked such as Gary Younge have left.Rarely read it nowadays,just the odd article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: C R

albion

Veteran
You do not need the Guardian to smear Corbyn. He does enough of that himself.
Like I said, the Guardian is actual centre ground.

It just happens that media ownership has made us nearly all far right.

D

Deleted member 49

You do not need the Guardian to smear Corbyn. He does enough of that himself.
Like I said, the Guardian is actual centre ground.

It just happens that media ownership has made us nearly all far right.
The centre ground lol...what does that even mean ? Centrists who worked so hard to make sure a government that would create a fairer society was not elected ?
Different story when it's Brexit lies though....can't have that.🙄
Feck the Guardian and it's fake tears of what we ended up with.

albion

Veteran
I recall that 'great interview'. Corbyn came across with some great qualities. Plus the large warts.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Whilst the Chiles column was certainly a WTF, there is only the smaller picture there.
The Guardian is almost all we have at the centre.
So she prefers News Corp.

That is one way of looking at it.

Another way is that, as a journalist, she is not happy with what she sees as the stifling of debate on any contentious issues that don't fall in with the current YIP zeitgeist and the view that "if you are not 100% for us you are 100% against".

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I really enjoyed Hadley Freeman's interviews and other pieces in The Guardian. I'm going to read her book about her family in the war, House of Glass, at some point. She's a highly regarded writer and a journalist. If The Guardian aren't interested in what she wants to write about, why shouldn't she go to an outlet that will let her write about wider subjects?

Anyway it frees up more space for the editor's other half to write about loyalty cards and the really pressing issues of the day. What do we reckon he's on for his column? £100k a year?

vvNRQmLA.jpeg

matticus

Guru
Anyway it frees up more space for the editor's other half to write about loyalty cards and the really pressing issues of the day. What do we reckon he's on for his column? £100k a year?

I don't want to know - it would only depress me!

(I quite like Chiles, overall - but a lot of these "man of the people" type columnists seem to be classic B-ark candidates; at best they produce 2 interesting and/or witty columns a year, and are mostly hideously over-paid.
n.b. Caitlin Moran in the Saturday Times is a strong exception to the rule!)

Beebo

Veteran
Chiles is getting a bad press here.
He’s not employed as a hard hitting journalist. He’s very self aware of what he’s doing.
His recent podcast interview with James O’Brien is a good listen.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I think it's more the fact that his wife is editor that raises eye brows. There's always been a fair bit of nepotism in the UK media though so it should be no surprise. His columns are pretty run of the mill lightweight guff, apart from the ones about drinking.

The Guardian did make a profit this year, after years of losses, due to revenue from online advertising so I would think it's position is secure. There are still a couple of writers there that I like but I don't bother with it much these days.

matticus

Guru
I think it's more the fact that his wife is editor that raises eye brows. There's always been a fair bit of nepotism in the UK media though so it should be no surprise. His columns are pretty run of the mill lightweight guff

Yeah, I'm probably of the same mind. And that £150k/annum is a crazy pay-packet for a small quantity of lightweight guff.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Yeah, I'm probably of the same mind. And that £150k/annum is a crazy pay-packet for a small quantity of lightweight guff.

The press is rife with offspring/relatives of politicians or more senior press figures writing well paid for columns...they are virtually always lightweight columns as opposed to serious news journalism.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The press is rife with offspring/relatives of politicians or more senior press figures writing well paid for columns...they are virtually always lightweight columns as opposed to serious news journalism.

I seem to recall this is/was a problem in Politics too, offspring/relatives employed in by MP's as "assistants", "secretaries" etc.

Despite that fact that most of moan about it, I suspect, that given the opportunity, most people would make a cosy little slot for son/daughter/son-in-law etc etc

Top Bottom