Rebecca Vardy - What a peanut. Discuss.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
I am not a lawyer but was professionally involved in the administration of justice for 35 years; saw this all the time.
I was a Legal Secretary for about 5 years at a Personal Injury firm. In those cases, if you win, you get all of your legal costs and disbursements. Hence my surprise!

matticus

Guru
Which pun did we like best? Wagatha Christie or The Scouse Trap?

Oooooh - now THERE's a tough question!
I think Scouse Trap is a bit more elegant, but perhaps that's also its flaw? The more blatant use of WAG seems to capture the zeitgeist of the situation better.

p.s. Note: https://liverpoolsroyalcourt.com/whats-on/the-scousetrap/

Bazzer

The players of the Rangers did. The fallout from that wheeze and HMRC's pursuit of the club led to its demise in 2012 and replacement by the The Rangers, but HMRC never went after the players for the tax they'd evaded.
That was because the employer is supposed to deduct tax. As a generality, HMRC tends not to go for the employee except in fairly specific circumstances.
The former directors of the now defunct football club embarked upon a tax avoidance scheme using employee benefits trusts which saw players and staff pay less tax than they were supposed to. As I understand it, the scheme was sold to and driven by the directors, rather than the staff and players.

Top Bottom