Save Bookshops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been trying to buy used books rather than new but, surprise, surprise, Amazon bought out Abe Books, thus gobbling up a large chunk of the used book market as well.

I always try to buy outside Amazon but if you want something that's a bit niche or unpopular it's often hard to find elsewhere. It really is time to address how they dominate the market.

I used Abe a year or so ago for a couple of out of print books, both UK publications, that I'd looked for for a while. One was mainstream paperback WW2 fiction the other an autobiography which probably had a short print run.

Both were sourced from, and supplied by, different independent shops. I assume Amazon, who've apparently owned the brand since 2008 provide infrastructure and logistics albeit at a cost.

spen666

Or you could look at it this way: -

Rather than using a multinational monopoly who don't pay taxes and the soon to be trillionaire owner cares little about the working conditions of the warehouse workers, try supporting a local bookshop which contributes to the local economy (which includes keeping high streets alive).

Most bookshops will be able to order any book you want and if you visit regularly you can build up a rapport with the book shop owner/worker.

Lots of bookshops now have cafes in the them, so you can "try before you buy" over a steaming cup of cappuccino, macchiato, Assam tea or special brew.

If we want to keep our high streets alive and keep our local economies vibrant then it's up to us to adapt and to stop going to the most convenient and cheapest option.

We'll all benefit in the long term.

Or to give a real example.

i needed a new electric heater. I was able to order it online whilst at same time in a phone conference with others yesterday.

Said heater was delivered first thing this morning and is currently heating my office.

The alternative would have been to wait until Sunday when I can next get to shops owing for other commitments, trawl round numerous shops, having driven their ( increasing my carbon footprint). Hopefully if I find the product I want, it will be in stock and I can take it with me.

Thus, I will be in coldhome office for several days, be unable to do my Sunday bike ride and have to drive round shops trying to find item I want.

Is itany wonder I chose to buy from Amazon.

There is nothing to stopother shops having simply to use websites and arranging swift delivery.

Shops are there to serve the customers, and its no wonder those who provide what the majority want thrive whilst others go to the wall

Its the same as the local butchers, greengrocers etc in the small commuter town I live in that open from 0900-1700 and wonder why the supermarkets that open early and close late get the customers whilst those smaller shops that do not meet the need of their cvommuting customers go out of business.

I would much prefer to use the local butcher, greengrocer etc, but I am not taking hours off work at cost to me because they do not serve my needs

matticus

Guru
Me too. The Book Ferret in Arundel. However, far better to call the shop and order direct - then they get a bigger share of the spend as Bookshop.org takes a cut from them.

Never buy from Amazon.
Good for you.
Independents can't compete with a global monopoly under the current (so-called) free market conditions. We have to compromise a little on price/convenience to get better service, nice places to shop, and better pay/conditions for workers.

spen666

Good for you.
Independents can't compete with a global monopoly under the current (so-called) free market conditions. We have to compromise a little on price/convenience to get better service, nice places to shop, and better pay/conditions for workers.

That is very subjective.

Clearly many people think the amazon service of ordering from home & very rapid delivery is a better service than having to traipse in town(s) paying travel & parking costs, spending hours extra time.

People are voting with their wallets & obviously prefer the Smazon service to the independent High Street retailer.

It's up to the High Street retailers to provide customers with what they want.

It is not the fault of customers that some retailers do not provide the service the majority want.

If customers do want the High Street retailers, then they would be thriving & have lots of trade.

Times they are a changing - whether you like it or not. The independent retailers need to provide the services and products that enough people want if they are to survive.

Or to give a real example.
So the examples I gave weren't "real?"

BTW the thread is about saving bookshops, but if you were so in need of a heater for your office how about popping into a B&Q or Argos or Wilko or similar on your way home?

Then you could have given your full 100% attention to your telephone meeting without getting distracted by shopping online for an item which you could have bought in your local community thereby helping the local economy. The other people in the meeting would appreciate a distraction free conversation too.

Unless you live and work in outer Mongolia, shopping for most things locally shouldn't be a problem, plus you're doing your patriotic duty (supporting local jobs, contributing to the economy, using goods and services from companies who pay their fair share of tax...)

matticus

Guru
That is very subjective.

Clearly many people think the amazon service of ordering from home & very rapid delivery is a better service than having to traipse in town(s) paying travel & parking costs, spending hours extra time.

People are voting with their wallets & obviously prefer the Smazon service to the independent High Street retailer.

It's up to the High Street retailers to provide customers with what they want.

It is not the fault of customers that some retailers do not provide the service the majority want.

If customers do want the High Street retailers, then they would be thriving & have lots of trade.

Times they are a changing - whether you like it or not. The independent retailers need to provide the services and products that enough people want if they are to survive.
Read what I wrote - I covered all that. (To help you with the reading, I did say we need to compromise.)

spen666

So the examples I gave weren't "real?"

BTW the thread is about saving bookshops, but if you were so in need of a heater for your office how about popping into a B&Q or Argos or Wilko or similar on your way home?

Then you could have given your full 100% attention to your telephone meeting without getting distracted by shopping online for an item which you could have bought in your local community thereby helping the local economy. The other people in the meeting would appreciate a distraction free conversation too.

Unless you live and work in outer Mongolia, shopping for most things locally shouldn't be a problem, plus you're doing your patriotic duty (supporting local jobs, contributing to the economy, using goods and services from companies who pay their fair share of tax...)

Not dealing with any of the issues I raise.

You want me to depend more time, more fuel etc going to stores trying yo find what I got online immediately.

You can make whatever arguments you like, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Local shops are dying because they do not provide the services most customers want.

If they were providing what most people want, they would be thriving just like Amaxon.

It's no good telling people to change their lifestyle to profit a business that doesn't provide the service customers want

spen666

Read what I wrote - I covered all that. (To help you with the reading, I did say we need to compromise.)

No we don't need to compromise.

Shops need to provide what customers want or lose out to businesses that do so provide.

spen666

I'm struggling to understand people who do not think businesses should provide the service that customers want, when other successful businesses do so provide.

In a service industry, if your service is not what people want, you will fail

spen666

Not everyone wants the same thing. Which in turn means - are you sitting down for this? - not everyone wants what you want.

i have never suggested that, in fact I have gone out of my way to make it clear I am not saying that.

the fact is not enough people want what many bookshops and other high street businesses are providing, that is why they are going out of business whilst Amazon's profits are heading to space and beyond.

I'm more than happy to let failing High Street businesses fail if they don't adapt to the market place.

i'm not the one demanding people change their consumer habits.

if you want your local bookshop to survive, then if it won't move with the times, you are fighting a losing battle.

if the local bookshop or other High Street retailer fails to move with the times and attract enough customers, its not my problem, nor even my concern.

Businesses need to supply what customers want, at a price and in a way that customers want it supplied. If not they fail. Businesses need to appeal to a wide enough audience to generate the sales they need to survive. It is not Amazon's fault the High Street has failed to adapt to the needs of its customers.

You have freedom of choice as do I. If however, insufficient people choose the store you chose, it will inevitably fail

D

Deleted member 49

Not dealing with any of the issues I raise.

You want me to depend more time, more fuel etc going to stores trying yo find what I got online immediately.

You can make whatever arguments you like, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Local shops are dying because they do not provide the services most customers want.

If they were providing what most people want, they would be thriving just like Amaxon.

It's no good telling people to change their lifestyle to profit a business that doesn't provide the service customers want
Maybe the high street,independent shops need better accountant's,or friends in the goverment who can help with their tax avoidance ?
Or start treating their staff like sh1t to get a better days work out of them,push them a bit more....all this taking toilet/meal breaks is killing them...
Amazon has brainwashed us into thinking we should be able to get anything delivered to our door in two days or under,maybe think about why that is.Or how it's possible.
I try my best not to use self service checkouts,shop local where I can,id much rather use a local mechanic/tyre fitter for my car.Yes I get why people want everything yesterday and for the cheapest possible price.
But I'm lucky enough a I can afford not too.
I'd rather not support Bezos with his wet dreams of space.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
i have never suggested that, in fact I have gone out of my way to make it clear I am not saying that.

the fact is not enough people want what many bookshops and other high street businesses are providing, that is why they are going out of business whilst Amazon's profits are heading to space and beyond.

I'm more than happy to let failing High Street businesses fail if they don't adapt to the market place.

i'm not the one demanding people change their consumer habits.

if you want your local bookshop to survive, then if it won't move with the times, you are fighting a losing battle.

if the local bookshop or other High Street retailer fails to move with the times and attract enough customers, its not my problem, nor even my concern.

Businesses need to supply what customers want, at a price and in a way that customers want it supplied. If not they fail. Businesses need to appeal to a wide enough audience to generate the sales they need to survive. It is not Amazon's fault the High Street has failed to adapt to the needs of its customers.

You have freedom of choice as do I. If however, insufficient people choose the store you chose, it will inevitably fail
As you say, freedom of choice. If enough people prefer the high st experience it will survive.

alternatively, we could all turn the clock back a couple hundred years, think of all those jobs we could bring back, saddle makers, farriers, riveters, etc, etc

Top Bottom