Save Bookshops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
@BoldonLad if a new super-progressive party came to power* and massively reduced tax burdens for the High St (maybe even subsidising rates), and hit Amazon with absurd business wealth tax, do you agree that market forces would rapidly shift things around?
(I assume you'd travel a little further to buy things at 1/20th of the price, no?)

What would be your view of Amazon if they lost a huge chunk of turnover and profits in that scenario?

*Actually we might get a similar effect if Adam4868 & I get our Fight Club plan together and nuke all the Amazon infrastructure ...

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
So price isn't everything....get off your fecking arse and support the local economy then !

Like I said, I will, indeed, I do, when they offer a competitive service. ;)

D

Deleted member 49

*Actually we might get a similar effect if Adam4868 & I get our Fight Club plan together and nuke all the Amazon infrastructure ...
Don't get your hopes up....CND man 😍

BoldonLad

@BoldonLad if a new super-progressive party came to power* and massively reduced tax burdens for the High St (maybe even subsidising rates), and hit Amazon with absurd business wealth tax, do you agree that market forces would rapidly shift things around?
(I assume you'd travel a little further to buy things at 1/20th of the price, no?)

What would be your view of Amazon if they lost a huge chunk of turnover and profits in that scenario?

Yes, I agree such a scenario would "shift things around", although, nimble quick thinking businesses may adjust their "business model" in someway to still be competitive. Is this not how Amazon (for example) came to be, ie Bezos saw an opportunity, and went for it?

I do not use Amazon (or, any business) out of concern for their profitability (or otherwise), I choose my supplier based on a mix of quality of product, service, price, availability.

Alternatively, we could attempt to wind the clock back, where would be best 1800's, 1700's ? Not too keen on this myself, given my ancestry, I would probably be a serf.

matticus

Guru
Slavery was good business sense. You'd be mad to produce sugar any other way at the time!

We outlawed it. Perhaps you want to wind that clock back ...

It's not necessarily a High St. vs Online argument only. There are shades of Online - you don't have to buy everything from the Evil Empire, there are several smaller independent online retailers available. However Amazon and the likes paying it's fair wedge in Tax would improve the situation for the rest of the market considerably. Diversity in the market is a good thing.
The high street won't die, but it may evolve into something more local and pleasant than the current universal Basingrad style developments blight most towns and cities.

BoldonLad

Slavery was good business sense. You'd be mad to produce sugar any other way at the time!

We outlawed it. Perhaps you want to wind that clock back ...

I think that example rather supports my view, not yours.
The end of slavery did not mean the end of sugar production, it meant that sugar producers had to adapt. Those who did not adapt, went out of business.

BoldonLad

It's not necessarily a High St. vs Online argument only. There are shades of Online - you don't have to buy everything from the Evil Empire, there are several smaller independent online retailers available. However Amazon and the likes paying it's fair wedge in Tax would improve the situation for the rest of the market considerably. Diversity in the market is a good thing.
The high street won't die, but it may evolve into something more local and pleasant than the current universal Basingrad style developments blight most towns and cities.
The voice of reason ;)

matticus

Guru
I think that example rather supports my view, not yours.
The end of slavery did not mean the end of sugar production, it meant that sugar producers had to adapt. Those who did not adapt, went out of business.
It's just an example that some factors matter more than bottom lines - we don't all choose purely on price+convenience.

(Also showing that laws/taxes/etc do get changed for social/ethical reasons. And I hope most of us support that.)

BoldonLad

It's just an example that some factors matter more than bottom lines - we don't all choose purely on price+convenience.

(Also showing that laws/taxes/etc do get changed for social/ethical reasons. And I hope most of us support that.)

my list of reasons for choosing a supplier was slightly longer than price and convenience, as I have already stated.

icowden

Legendary Member
Whilst I love actual books, I never get to read them any more, instead I have an ever increasing library of ebooks on my kindle. No postage required, or waiting.

BoldonLad

Whilst I love actual books, I never get to read them any more, instead I have an ever increasing library of ebooks on my kindle. No postage required, or waiting.
Shock horror! Burning at the stake is too good for you ;)

Actually, I have an eReader too (not a Kindle). It is excellent, and, has many advantages.

I do, however, prefer an actual book, my current reading material is a “real” book (bought at my local market, secondhand book stall).

Last edited:
Top Bottom