Save Bookshops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Why stop at "saving" independent book shops, why not independent Bakers, Butchers, Grocers, Hardware Stores, Garages, Pharmacies, Furniture stores, Cinemas, Theatres, Music Halls.... etc etc

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Why stop at "saving" independent book shops, why not independent Bakers, Butchers, Grocers, Hardware Stores, Garages, Pharmacies, Furniture stores, Cinemas, Theatres, Music Halls.... etc etc
Excellent idea, Bolders. Welcome on board.

BoldonLad

There's no need to be silly. You were doing so well.

What is silly about it? The area in which I live would have a second "gold rush", my house would probably triple in value, even my life-long unemployed son would probably have a job, big win as far as I can see. ;)

I admit, there a few wrinkles to sort out, for example, we could mine the coal, but, we wouldn't be able to actually use it, because of climate change, but, I am sure we could find another use for it.

mudsticks

Squire
I have lived and worked in a Communist Country, so, I will pass on that one, thank you all the same. ;)

I don't see how creating a situation via taxation and other measures, which allows smaller more diverse and independent, personally owned businesses and services to thrive , becomes allied with 'communism'..

It's completely not that .

If anything a situation where mega corps such as ama3on are allowed to get so big that they effectively end up as more powerful and influential than governments is just another form of undemocratic control

It's just a capitalistic 'winner takes, and controls all' .

We're already in a situation where the likes of the Gates foundation has more undemocratic, influence in global policy making through philanthrocapitalism , that many NGOs.

A very unhealthy situation.

D

Deleted member 49

As I said a few pages ago...i try my best to most of these.
Why wouldn't you choose to support your local Grocer,Butcher over the likes of Tesco or Asda ? Who do you really think is going to support the local economy more.Buy local wherever you can.

IanSmithCSE

Good afternoon,

We still have a Waterstones book shop in my town centre, I know that Waterstones are a chain, but they are a chain where the shops only sell books. They are in a convenient location, the shop has been fitted out to a high standard and it is a really nice place to go, but when I go into it I think where are the books?

Yes there are plenty of Harry Potter and Games Of Thrones, but only a couple of Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke etc.

I am old enough the remember when WH Smiths had a high street shop with an upstairs book department that was about 200 feet long and 12-18 feet wide. I have really forgotten the prices but a hardback cost around 20-30 pints of beer and the latest Dick Francis novel was so expensive that it was a birthday present between my parents.

Yes beer prices have risen dramatically but the cost of a new release hardback book was still close to a day's wages for average earners.

Okay I get that those authors may no longer be best sellers, some don't age well, but some have, yet the bookshop is dependent on a publisher printing the books.

A while back Print On Demand was going to be the next big thing, a trusted shop would be given the right to print single copies of books in their shops. I could go into Small Village Books and they would say come back in an hour and I can have James Blish's Star Trek novel "Spock must die", and the staff would know that such a book existed.

This didn't happen and it was never tried as It was too much effort. Yet nearly everyone here can download a book and print it off, yes for most the toner/ink costs are too high for this to be sensible but a book shop could afford a slightly better printer. Once you get to £10k printers are pretty good and cheap per page.

Bye

Ian

BoldonLad

I don't see how creating a situation via taxation and other measures, which allows smaller more diverse and independent, personally owned businesses and services to thrive , becomes allied with 'communism'..

It's completely not that .

If anything a situation where mega corps such as ama3on are allowed to get so big that they effectively end up as more powerful and influential than governments is just another form of undemocratic control

It's just a capitalistic 'winner takes, and controls all' .

We're already in a situation where the likes of the Gates foundation has more undemocratic, influence in global policy making through philanthrocapitalism , that many NGOs.

A very unhealthy situation.
I note you have quoted my post, but, it wasn’t me who made the connection. I simply stated that I had lived and worked in a Communist country.

Top Bottom