Save Bookshops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

Better to use independent shops....but try this to avoid Amazon.
https://ethicalrevolution.co.uk/amazon-alternatives/

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I've been trying to buy used books rather than new but, surprise, surprise, Amazon bought out Abe Books, thus gobbling up a large chunk of the used book market as well.

I always try to buy outside Amazon but if you want something that's a bit niche or unpopular it's often hard to find elsewhere. It really is time to address how they dominate the market.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I've been trying to buy used books rather than new but, surprise, surprise, Amazon bought out Abe Books, thus gobbling up a large chunk of the used book market as well.

I always try to buy outside Amazon but if you want something that's a bit niche or unpopular it's often hard to find elsewhere. It really is time to address how they dominate the market.

I have used an online outfit called World of Books, for secondhand books. No idea who they belong to, but, their service is pretty slick, prices reasonable, quality good, and range quite extensive.

spen666

So you want people to use bookshops rather than being able to choose what is more convenient to them.

The problem if bookshops are going out of business is that they haven't adapted to serve customer needs.

Businesses need to provide what customers want, not customers accept 2nd best to save a business that won't adapt.

spen666

They dominate the market by providing what people want

So you want people to use bookshops rather than being able to choose what is more convenient to them.

The problem if bookshops are going out of business is that they haven't adapted to serve customer needs.

Businesses need to provide what customers want, not customers accept 2nd best to save a business that won't adapt.

That would be a fair point if the playing field were level.

OP
OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Über Member

Remind me how much tax and rates Amazon paid last year?

Or the year before?

Or the year before that?

That's the problem and it's nothing to do with anything being 2nd best.

Or you could look at it this way: -

Rather than using a multinational monopoly who don't pay taxes and the soon to be trillionaire owner cares little about the working conditions of the warehouse workers, try supporting a local bookshop which contributes to the local economy (which includes keeping high streets alive).

Most bookshops will be able to order any book you want and if you visit regularly you can build up a rapport with the book shop owner/worker.

Lots of bookshops now have cafes in the them, so you can "try before you buy" over a steaming cup of cappuccino, macchiato, Assam tea or special brew.

If we want to keep our high streets alive and keep our local economies vibrant then it's up to us to adapt and to stop going to the most convenient and cheapest option.

We'll all benefit in the long term.

Top Bottom