Scandi noir....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This result will surprise many who think that Sweden is all IKEA crispbreads, Abba and liberal living...but the reality that dare not speak it's name is now out. I lived and worked in Sweden ~25 years ago, the xenophobia and out right-racism was visible then, (many would make no bones about me being there taking a job from a Swedish person).
That a far-right fascistic party has done so well, shouldn't be a surprise to those that know the region well....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/11/swedish-election-exit-polls-far-right

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
It will be the way the EU goes, right wing parties growing in many countries now. You remainers will be in a right pickle soon, when far-right parties start to get elected it will put you in a position where you are desperate to rejoin a community of far-right governments!

What a to-do you will all be in then.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
This result will surprise many who think that Sweden is all IKEA crispbreads, Abba and liberal living...but the reality that dare not speak it's name is now out. I lived and worked in Sweden ~25 years ago, the xenophobia and out right-racism was visible then, (many would make no bones about me being there taking a job from a Swedish person).
That a far-right fascistic party has done so well, shouldn't be a surprise to those that know the region well....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/11/swedish-election-exit-polls-far-right

I haven't spent a lot of time in Sweden but I did work there for a month or so a few years back. Any illusions I might have had about Sweden as an enlightened, socially-minded country vanished into cold, thin air.

Ian H

Guru

The policies of the current UK government are not so far removed from that. Overt racism is still the norm in much of the world, including parts of Europe. The fear of fascism is fading over time.

spen666

If you are concerned about electorates supporting parties/ candidates/ ideologies that you consider to be Far right, then it is important to try to understand what motivates the electorate to support them.

Calling the electorate thick, stupid, gullible will only drive people further towards those ideologies rather than away from them.

It is only by understanding what motivates people and dealing with those issues that you are going to stop the growth in support for the far right ideologies

I worked in Finland (Helsinki and Oulu) for a few years and this result doesn't surprise me at all.

As @Fab Foodie mentioned, it was an issue 25 years ago, and still an issue when I was there 10-14 years ago.

D

Deleted member 49

It will be the way the EU goes, right wing parties growing in many countries now. You remainers will be in a right pickle soon, when far-right parties start to get elected it will put you in a position where you are desperate to rejoin a community of far-right governments!

What the feck has being a remainer or leaver for that matter got to do with being far right ? Now who's stereotyping.

This has been said several times over the years and yet, nothing's happened.

View: https://media.giphy.com/media/TfWhFbURIirNegNN4t/giphy.gif

What the feck has being a remainer or leaver for that matter got to do with being far right ? Now who's stereotyping.

It's got nothing to do with it. @Craig the cyclist is just bored and looking to mouth off for a bit.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member

It isn't what I said though is it, half-wit.

I have said, if you take time to read it, that remainers will be clamouring to re-join a club made up of far-right governments if this trend continues. Which would put them in the tricky position of wanting to join what, by their own definition, would be a club full of racists.

D

Deleted member 49

It isn't what I said though is it, half-wit.

I have said, if you take time to read it, that remainers will be clamouring to re-join a club made up of far-right governments if this trend continues. Which would put them in the tricky position of wanting to join what, by their own definition, would be a club full of racists.
Remainers ! Like thats some some sort of club to be in.Your a fecking pr1ck.Mind you you voted for Johnson knowing full well what he was...how did that turn out ?

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
If you are concerned about electorates supporting parties/ candidates/ ideologies that you consider to be Far right, then it is important to try to understand what motivates the electorate to support them.

Calling the electorate thick, stupid, gullible will only drive people further towards those ideologies rather than away from them.

It is only by understanding what motivates people and dealing with those issues that you are going to stop the growth in support for the far right ideologies

I haven't followed the Swedish elections closely but I am 100% sure that scapegoating is at the very heart of it.

Top Bottom