Schooliform

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Veteran
Every year in September we get these stories.
The parents are setting a terrible example to the children.
There was one story recently about a girl who had Vivienne Westwood shoes. And the parents were getting angry.
I get the impression it’s the usual suspects and the school has probably run out of patience with these parents.

Usual press picture of Mum, for once not looking as if she's swallowed a wasp, and well groomed and manicured child??

What were the parents told was OK, at what notice and how different are the 'stretch' trousers?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Every year in September we get these stories.
The parents are setting a terrible example to the children.
There was one story recently about a girl who had Vivienne Westwood shoes. And the parents were getting angry.
I get the impression it’s the usual suspects and the school has probably run out of patience with these parents.

Exactly

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Usual press picture of Mum, for once not looking as if she's swallowed a wasp, and well groomed and manicured child??

What were the parents told was OK, at what notice and how different are the 'stretch' trousers?

If there was a policy on school uniform that had been communicated to parents in advance then this really is a non-story.

Kids have pushed the boundaries of school uniforms over the years to try to fit in with the latest fashion trends. It's a normal thing to do, some schools are strict on it and others not, but it really is no great issue of human rights and no business of anyone other than the school, the parents and the kids.

IMG_3787.jpeg

https://x.com/looknorthbbc/status/1701921922680787196?s=61&t=IaNHN0MzKohAo3Ktl0DsFQ

There are 2 issues here:

The first is that acceptable uniform is nearly always outlined on the school website, or at the open evening, or an a leaflet etc. Every generation has tried to bend the rules so they can look a bit more fashionable, but this is exactly what the schools are trying to prevent i.e. kids getting picked on becasue they're not wearing the coolest type of black trousers or shoes. The clue is in the name "uniform" so everyone wears the same so no-one is regarded as "in" or "out" of what's deemed fashionable or trendy.

The second issue is one of approved suppliers. This can be a bit of a con but as long as they've outlined where they need to buy stuff from, there shouldn't be any surprises or issues. We had to buy the entire kit (minus white shirt, which can be generic) and it cost £100. Provisions were put in place for those on lower incomes (second hand shop, and other options were offered).

I hasten to add some of these parents might have bought non-compliant uniform in good faith. E.g. at my son's school there is guidance for shoes, with pictures of 5 examples of acceptable shoes and 5 of not acceptable shoes. There may well be grey areas so some might have fallen foul of that, but at the end of the day it's about common sense and if you make a mistake you have to suck it up and buy compliant footwear.

My son's school is very clear on what happens if you're in the wrong uniform - you have to go to the office and obtain spare uniform and are expected to hand it back whenever you've bought the correct stuff (in a resonable time frame). I don't see much issue in what was quoted in the Guardian:

"They were given a grace period but, when that ended, the school is alleged to have taken further action - angering parents. It is claimed some pupils who continued to wear the "stretch" trousers were put in isolation, meaning they missed lessons."

That is exactly how things operate in the forces, at work, and at school. Preparing kids for adulthood is a fundamental part of school. So not really an issue I can give much sympathy to.

Every generation has tried to bend the rules so they can look a bit more fashionable, but this is exactly what the schools are trying to prevent
I wondered about the like you gave my earlier post. I wasn’t being entirely serious but maybe that wasn’t as obvious as I’d assumed.

How is it right to swap kids bullying non-conformists for schools bullying the kids instead?

Last edited:
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
How is it right to swap kids bullying non-conformists for schools bullying the kids instead?
They aren't bullying the kids. They are teaching them about consequences (although as I have previously said, I think it's the parents that need teaching as much as the kids). They were warned. They persisted. They were penalised.

If you turn up to a job that requires a uniform or a specific presentation and you don't comply, you can expect at the very least a quiet word and if you continue the invocation of a disciplinary procedure.

I wondered about the like you gave my earlier post. I wasn’t being entirely serious but maybe that wasn’t as obvious as I’d assumed.

I don't believe that enforcing rules at school is bullying. If they've said you need to buy a skirt from a supplier, then you buy from the supplier. I think this is nit-picking but their rules are their rules. Or you change schools to one that doesn't enforce such a stringent uniform code. They have a choice. You can't pick a school and then challenge their rules (unless the rules are impacting on your child's basic human rights or needs). Too many kids come out of school thinking that they are above rules and above being controlled, and this type of rule is nipping this in the bud.

Top Bottom