Slurs and slurred words

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
“It is completely improper to equate the excessive consumption of spirits, typical of the Nordic countries, to the moderate and conscious consumption of quality products with lower alcohol content, such as beer and wine”

Ireland wants to put health warnings on wine bottles - the Italians are not amused. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/12/italy-ireland-plans-for-alcohol-health-warnings-wine

Aren't there already "mild" health warnings on all alcohol?, ie "drink responsibly", a little symbol to avoid alcohol when pregnant, and, a figure showing number of units of alcohol? Not that I am aware that anyone reads them.

From the Article, I particularly like this bit "“Wine is history, culture … an expression of our territories and is part of the Mediterranean diet.".

Last edited:

spen666

“It is completely improper to equate the excessive consumption of spirits, typical of the Nordic countries, to the moderate and conscious consumption of quality products with lower alcohol content, such as beer and wine”

Ireland wants to put health warnings on wine bottles - the Italians are not amused. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/12/italy-ireland-plans-for-alcohol-health-warnings-wine

Why can't each country do what they want in their own country
Want to sell Alcohol in Ireland - bottle labels must have warnings
Want to sell in Italy - bottle lables do not need warning or must not have warnings (not clear what Italians are saying)
Retailers/ Manufacturers can choose whether they want to trade in each country

Job's a good one

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis

I think the phrase you quoted means I'm happy to disregard anything that particular organisation has to say on the subject of xenophobia.

Reactions: C R

Beebo

Veteran
Why can't each country do what they want in their own country
Want to sell Alcohol in Ireland - bottle labels must have warnings
Want to sell in Italy - bottle lables do not need warning or must not have warnings (not clear what Italians are saying)
Retailers/ Manufacturers can choose whether they want to trade in each country

Job's a good one

Stop it with your sensible opinions.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I really like the artwork on wine and spirits bottle labels. Wonder if they plan to go all out and make bottles have plain white labels like cigarettes (doubt that) or will let you keep the lovely label but when you look on the back it's a photo of a liver with cirrhosis. That would certainly be a buzz kill at a posh dinner party.

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Guru
Amongst other things we used to produce labels for beer, cider, and English wine producers.

One old fellow used to produce what he called rubbish cider for the grockles, and his 'good ' cider. He bribed me with a bottle of the latter once, trying to expedite an order. It was undrinkable, utterly foul. The embarrassment came when he collected his labels, and asked me what I thought of the cider. I was lost for words.

In this example, as far as I can see, there is no hinderance to the free movement of goods, it is simply how those goods are labeled?

Truly free movement of goods for trade purposes is only possible when there are common rules and standards.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Truly free movement of goods for trade purposes is only possible when there are common rules and standards.

Yes, wouldn’t really disagree with that, personally. But, it would appear the EU have not closed all of the loopholes.

But, as a Remainer, interesting to see that “sovereignty” is alive and well even outside the UK.

Wasn’t it something similar which alledgedly prevented Scotland from introducing a minimum price for alcohol? (Back when UK was a member of EU).

Similar issues arise with qualifications and jobs of course. Thus impacting true free movement of people. Like it or not, some Countries do have little “rules” which disadvantage the non-natives.

Last edited:
Top Bottom