Speaker of the House

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just like Priti Patel then.

Beebo

Veteran
I have no issue with Bercow getting banned. Being speaker is a difficult job but he clearly loved the sound of his own voice and overstepped the mark on a few occasions.

As mentioned above, Priti Patel has also been found guilty of bullying, with no consequences. The only person who lost their job was the investigator!

It can’t be one rule for one and one rule for another.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I'm sure it's possible to acknowledge that he was a surprisingly effective speaker, whilst not ignoring that he was/is an arrogant, obnoxious person.
Was he surprisingly effective though? He let the pro-Remain MPs have as much time as they wanted, but apart from that? He was hardly impartial, which is the key bit of being the speaker, and loved the sound of his own voice.

Milkfloat

I think you mean it shouldn't be one rule for one and one rule for another, as clearly we currently have different rules for different people which seems to be acceptable to most.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
He loved the sound of his own voice.

FishFright

I have no issue with Bercow getting banned. Being speaker is a difficult job but he clearly loved the sound of his own voice and overstepped the mark on a few occasions.

As mentioned above, Priti Patel has also been found guilty of bullying, with no consequences. The only person who lost their job was the investigator!

It can be if you're connected enough

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Yes, he was. He insisted on the primacy of parliament over government by decree. He stood up for MPs over Ministers.
And yes, he did love the sound of his own voice.
As someone who hasn’t looked in detail at the career of Bercow as speaker, did he do this on any other issue than Brexit where he was strongly against it?

I have always thought him a complete a*sehole but am happy to cut him some slack if he had a wider history of standing up for MPs than just Brexit.

FishFright

As someone who hasn’t looked in detail at the career of Bercow as speaker, did he do this on any other issue than Brexit where he was strongly against it?

I have always thought him a complete a*sehole but am happy to cut him some slack if he had a wider history of standing up for MPs than just Brexit.

He was an awful grandstander sometimes but he was great at making sure the rules of the House were up held. Unlike the present speaker who day after day lets Boris lie at the stand with barely a murmur.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
He was an awful grandstander sometimes but he was great at making sure the rules of the House were up held. Unlike the present speaker who day after day lets Boris lie at the stand with barely a murmur.
They have all, in recent memory, let the PM of the day get away with lies much of the time. None of them have made sure the PM actually answers the questions put to them at QT.

Top Bottom