Strike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

Partner got a rare offer for some lecturing hours at Manchester the other day.Been after some for an age...anyway first day was next Weds strike day ! Tried to tell her it doesn't apply to you as you'll be freelance as it's covering a staff members absence.Shes allready a lecturer and in the union so would of meant crossing picket line...
Stuck to her guns and they've changed her days.😁

D

Deleted member 28

Partner got a rare offer for some lecturing hours at Manchester the other day.Been after some for an age...anyway first day was next Weds strike day ! Tried to tell her it doesn't apply to you as you'll be freelance as it's covering a staff members absence.Shes allready a lecturer and in the union so would of meant crossing picket line...
Stuck to her guns and they've changed her days.😁

Right on brother!

D

Deleted member 49

Right on brother!
It wasn't about being right on.More about the university actually expecting a member of staff to cross a picket line....maybe not a big deal to you.But luckily there's still a few who have principles.
There again were you not against strikes in your profession....but when you got a payrise you thought they'd done well lol.
Speaks volumes brother 😁

D

Deleted member 28

It wasn't about being right on.More about the university actually expecting a member of staff to cross a picket line....maybe not a big deal to you.But luckily there's still a few who have principles.
There again were you not against strikes in your profession....but when you got a payrise you thought they'd done well lol.
Speaks volumes brother 😁

I went on strike to get that pay rise because I joined a Union that decided, through balloting, that it was the correct thing to do.

Your point?

There are now redundancies so who's the winner?

Is your employer saying that the redundancies are the result of having to pay their employees a little more or would they have happened anyway? Maybe they will make you a decent offer to go early.

D

Deleted member 49

I went on strike to get that pay rise because I joined a Union that decided, through balloting, that it was the correct thing to do.

Your point?

The redundancies aren't anything to do with your boss food bank Phil paying himself 3.5m a year are they ?
Anyway solidarity with your struggles brother.Keep up the fight.

D

Deleted member 28

The redundancies aren't anything to do with your boss food bank Phil paying himself 3.5m a year are they ?
Anyway solidarity with your struggles brother.Keep up the fight.

Who knows?

Hopefully it'll be me in a couple of years.

ebikeerwidnes

As I am a member of the NEU - retired so didn;t get a vote - I was thinking about going to the nearest picket line to give some support for a while

but I am kid sitting due to the strike - so that's not really possible

anyway - no picket line on my old school - although I presume it is closed

never actually been on strike - only time there was one at a school I was teaching at - my Union instructed me to cross the picket line but refuse to cover any striking teacher's classes - which I did with the support of the NASUWT and NUT (now NEU) reps

Mr Celine

vlcsnap-2023-01-31-22h08m16s319.png

A snap from last night's Border TV news. EIS rally outside cooncil HQ.

I'm not a teacher or in the EIS but was roped into helping by Mrs Celine.

I'm holding the banner on the extreme left - further to the left than any of the pinkos in shot.:becool:

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Brothers.
Can I just say that my solidarity for the struggles of the working man will last until Passport Control at Birmingham Airport later this afternoon....
Thank you.

😁 My better half and younger daughter are about to take off for England and will be savouring the same delights you will. To add insult to injury the trains are on strike so they quickly had to book a coach to get to their destination - at midnight rather than about 8:00 pm tonight.

The strikes are irritating but this current govt shot itself in the foot with any idea of 'being in this together' because any willingness to take a real drop in pay will be more than compensated by the rich increasing their wealth.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
My teacher daughter is on strike today and I've just seen her picture, and some interview comments she gave, in a media report on the strike.
She is the Union rep for her school and I know she has not taken the decision to strike easily. As a teacher in a sixth form college I know the pressure she has been under for years, especially during Covid, not just teaching but maintaining the morale and enthusiasm of her pupils, all the while seeing the value the government apparently puts on her job reducing.
The pressure has increased a lot because of the extra work she has to do as Union rep and when we were up in London with her last weekend she must have had forty texts to deal with, including some while we were having a birthday party for my 4 year old granddaughter. And today that Tory apology for a journalist Sarah Vine put it down to a battle between "strikers and strivers" as if those on strike have not been striving like everyone else.

She does rock a union beanie though. ^_^...my daughter, not Vine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom