The CC NACA Book Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I have a signed first edition of Hocus Pocus. Completely illegible signature. Could be anybodys lol. I can't remember much about the content though, other than that it didn't grab me as much as his earlier works. Perhaps I should re read it. I think Vonnegut books are hard to film so I'll be interested in how that adaption works out.

That is cool as fark.

I have a signed Irvine Welsh book and I'm pretty sure he was just taking the piss.

IMG_20220507_150920268.jpg

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
'Kurt Vonnegut', allegedly lol. I wasn't there when he signed it, so I'll never know. It did come from Waterstones, I think, so probably genuine. I have other signed books, like Elmore Leonard and Buzz Aldrin, and they are much more legible.

20220507_152137.jpg

If I had to sign a thousand books I probably couldn't be arsed to make it legible either though.

mudsticks

Squire
That is cool as fark.

I have a signed Irvine Welsh book and I'm pretty sure he was just taking the piss.

View attachment 1148

My dad had handwriting very much like that

Somehow his various secretaries could decipher it.??

At the time I thought how on earth??

It's spooky though, as nowadays if I'm writing quickly my script comes out just like his .

I guess it must have something to do with the anatomy of the hand..

For the first time in ages I have completed (reading) a novel, I'm usually into non fiction.

The Feast...

Set in Cornwall just after the war, with the realities of how people actually were, at that time, rather than all that 'Blitz spirit' over simplification..

I read it whilst staying in a rickety old cliff edge house, in Cornwall.
Just as it was all kicking off in Ukraine :sad: .

The characterisation is very good, and it doesn't matter that you know at the beginning that the Hotel is going to fall off the cliff ..

By the end you've got two fairly firm lists as to who you do and don't want to be resident when disaster strikes... Highly recommended anytime reading..

But a cliff top house really sets the mood..

PXL_20220507_181947557.jpg

stephec

Regular
I've got these two on the go at the moment.

I tried the Brief History a while back but since getting into astronomy last year I've decided to give it another go, I'll be sat in a hotel restaurant on Monday night trying to look clever whilst reading it. 😂

IMG_20220507_201655.jpg

stephec

Regular
i really hope someone comes over and says..

"Well, looks like we've got ourselves a reader"

I'm going to wear my glasses so that I look proper brainy as well.

Every now and again I'll put the book down and stare quizzically into the distance, then my eyes will open wide in a light bulb moment, and I'll pick the book up and carry on reading with a nod of the head and a sage expression.

It's going to be a struggle though as there's no pictures in it.

mudsticks

Squire
I'm going to wear my glasses so that I look proper brainy as well.

Every now and again I'll put the book down and stare quizzically into the distance, then my eyes will open wide in a light bulb moment, and I'll pick the book up and carry on reading with a nod of the head and a sage expression.

It's going to be a struggle though as there's no pictures in it.
And I'll bet there'll be one or two longish wurds in there 'n all..

Since I started wearing reading glasses I rekon my IQ has leapt up by at least 50 points - minimum....

I quite enjoy looking pointedly at people over the top of them, and also taking them off to brandish whilst I make a pertinent remark .

When I'm travelling alone, ill often take a small notebook into a restaurant, to record the happenings of the day before I forget them.

A few times I think I've been mistaken for a restaurant reviewer, as I'll suddenly get very attentive service when I start scribbling..

But then, the more I assure them I'm really not there to criticise, the more nervous they're likely to be.. 🤔

Ian H

Guru
And I'll bet there'll be one or two longish wurds in there 'n all..

Since I started wearing reading glasses I rekon my IQ has leapt up by at least 50 points - minimum....

I quite enjoy looking pointedly at people over the top of them, and also taking them off to brandish whilst I make a pertinent remark .

When I'm travelling alone, ill often take a small notebook into a restaurant, to record the happenings of the day before I forget them.

A few times I think I've been mistaken for a restaurant reviewer, as I'll suddenly get very attentive service when I start scribbling..

But then, the more I assure them I'm really not there to criticise, the more nervous they're likely to be.. 🤔

Most of that, but additionally I sometimes sit on them and swear (which spoils whatever impression I'm trying to create.

mudsticks

Squire
Most of that, but additionally I sometimes sit on them and swear (which spoils whatever impression I'm trying to create.
I too have quite an extensive collection of one armed glasses, where I've sat on them in my back pocket..

Thankfully they're only the cheapo £2 sort..

And they're still OK for reading in bed .

Although I was wearing a mangled pair for a union zoom call the other day .

The way I was holding them onto my face made it look like I was volunteering for a particular job..

Thankfully it was something, that I was quite keen on doing..:laugh:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Very rarely have I read a book and thought the film was better or even just as good.I rarely bother to be honest,suppose it's the same with remakes of films you like.I don't bother with them either.
Of the top of my head the only film director I can think of is Kubrick...he could give a book the film it deserves.
Vonnegut I'd point blankly refuse to watch a film of his books....I'd just think why 😁

Generally I'd agree about film adaptations of books. The only one I can think of that improves on the book is The Revenant, the book is just tedious.

On the other end of the scale, Hard to be a God is almost unwatchable. I had to read the book to make any sense of the film and it left me wondering what the makers had read because I still can't understand how the film has any relevance to the book.

D

Deleted member 49

I've not read the book of The Revenant but watched the film....dare I say I wasn't as mad on it as everyone else was 😁 Love DiCaprio as a actor but just a bit too much for me.
Not watched Hard to be a God but looks interesting if that's the right word lol.
Still back on to books....I'm revisiting Anthony Burgess, (Burroughs corrected)starting with Junky.Need something lighthearted as the Giro is on !

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

I've not read the book of The Revenant but watched the film....dare I say I wasn't as mad on it as everyone else was 😁 Love DiCaprio as a actor but just a bit too much for me.
Not watched Hard to be a God but looks interesting if that's the right word lol.
Still back on to books....I'm revisiting Anthony Burgess,starting with Junky.Need something lighthearted as the Giro is on !

Anthony Burgess is a really good prompt. I haven't read anything of his for years.

Did he write a book called "Junky"? I know William Burroughs did but I can't see a book of that title by Burgess.

I must try Burroughs again, too.

Top Bottom