The CC NACA Book Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I've not read the book of The Revenant but watched the film....dare I say I wasn't as mad on it as everyone else was 😁 Love DiCaprio as a actor but just a bit too much for me.
Not watched Hard to be a God but looks interesting if that's the right word lol.
Still back on to books....I'm revisiting Anthony Burgess,starting with Junky.Need something lighthearted as the Giro is on !

I liked the film a lot more than the book. Both are endurance events in different ways.

I'd honestly not bother watching Hard to be a God. Well, I say that: it's a thing of beauty and I do like high brow arty stuff, but this was too much even for me. I said at the time it's the kind of thing I'd have on in the background as a moving painting, but as a film it's incomprehensible.

Melvin, Shirley, and Junk? I'm not sure I'd call anything by Anthony Burgess "light hearted"...

D

Deleted member 49

Anthony Burgess is a really good prompt. I haven't read anything of his for years.

Did he write a book called "Junky"? I know William Burroughs did but I can't see a book of that title by Burgess.

I must try Burroughs again, too.
Duh ! Of course couldn't even get the author right ! Sorry meant Burroughs 😁

D

Deleted member 49

I liked the film a lot more than the book. Both are endurance events in different ways.

I'd honestly not bother watching Hard to be a God. Well, I say that: it's a thing of beauty and I do like high brow arty stuff, but this was too much even for me. I said at the time it's the kind of thing I'd have on in the background as a moving painting, but as a film it's incomprehensible.

Melvin, Shirley, and Junk? I'm not sure I'd call anything by Anthony Burgess "light hearted"...
Hungover Sunday glitch....meant Burroughs as kindly corrected by @All uphill
On that point never really read that much of Burgess,maybe I should.

D

Deleted member 49

A hangover is not a good way to read Burgess, but he is a cracking writer. Make sure you get the UK version of Clockwork Orange if you go down that road, the US version has the last chapter cut out of it.
Yea read Clockwork Orange a few times....sticks in my mind going to see the film in a Arthouse cinema in Glebe Australia around 89...loved it.Then the week after seeing the Cook the The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover and fecking hated it ! Strange how films,books,music take you back to a certain point in your life.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Yea read Clockwork Orange a few times....sticks in my mind going to see the film in a Arthouse cinema in Glebe Australia around 89...loved it.Then the week after seeing the Cook the The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover and fecking hated it ! Strange how films,books,music take you back to a certain point in your life.

And you have just taken me back to seeing "The Cook..." in the Watershed in Bristol in '89!

I had just moved to the South West, newly single and full of optimism. Happy memories!

D

Deleted member 49

And you have just taken me back to seeing "The Cook..." in the Watershed in Bristol in '89!

I had just moved to the South West, newly single and full of optimism. Happy memories!
Did you like it ? 🙄

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I gave up on the The Revenant book; found it boring and near unreadable. Loved Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy though.

D

Deleted member 49

I'm going to start on this after the Giro...my partner loves her and her writing style.Bought her this recently and generally trust her reviews.

IMG_20220508_192247981.jpg

AndyRM

Elder Goth
This arrived over the weekend, which I'm very pleased about. I have a much loved, and ready copy of "The Great Shark Hunt" and have read bits of "Generation of Swine", and "Songs of the Doomed", but never had the whole lot in one convenient book.

IMG_20220506_134255914_HDR.jpg

Top Bottom