The CC NACA Book Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

For anyone who thinks events in Ukraine and Russia are all about one bad man this is an interesting read, suggesting this kind of conflict is highly likely whoever is in charge in Russia.
Written in 2015.
20220503_170421.jpg

What books do you recommend?

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Here's another remarkable book. I have been dipping into this for years! Do you have any thoughts on this?

20220503_170441.jpg

D

Deleted member 49

View attachment 1139

An incredible writer. And an absolute hero of mine.
Loved him when I was younger...was one of the go-to authors when traveling.Fear and Loathing is a classic !
Some books you go back to and Fear and Loathing is one that springs to mind,Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance another.Still not sure I get it !
But my all time favourite author is without doubt Vonnegut.Slaughterhouse Five is a masterpiece that I never get bored with,Deadeye Dicks another.My daughter put it on a podcast on my phone so I could listen at work....but I still can't get past books 😁

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Loved him when I was younger...was one of the go-to authors when traveling.Fear and Loathing is a classic !
Some books you go back to and Fear and Loathing is one that springs to mind,Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance another.Still not sure I get it !
But my all time favourite author is without doubt Vonnegut.Slaughterhouse Five is a masterpiece that I never get bored with,Deadeye Dicks another.My daughter put it on a podcast on my phone so I could listen at work....but I still can't get past books 😁

Funny you should mention those two...

Attachments

• IMG_20220506_211013129.jpg
    IMG_20220506_211013129.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220506_211214038.jpg
    IMG_20220506_211214038.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

I love Kurt Vonnegut's books, especially Slaughterhouse Five. Vonnegut clearly was deeply affected by his experiences in WW11 and his great humanity comes across in his books.

I've read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance twice; first time when I was about 19 and again a few years ago. I'm not sure if it's the book or me, but something didn't quite work either time.

D

Deleted member 49

I've read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance twice; first time when I was about 19 and again a few years ago. I'm not sure if it's the book or me, but something didn't quite work either time.
I think that's the whole point of it maybe....I've read it quite a few times over a thirty ish year period and still don't fully get it 😁

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I love Kurt Vonnegut. I only started reading him because 30 years ago he was alphabetically next to Gore Vidal, who I had been reading, in our very small WH Smiths. Every so often I have a big book clear out but can't quite get rid of the KV books, especially Slapstick.

Currently reading 'The Five', about the victims of Jack the Ripper, and a book about Matthew Hopkins and the Witchfinders of 17th century England.

D

Deleted member 49

I love Kurt Vonnegut. I only started reading him because 30 years ago he was alphabetically next to Gore Vidal, who I had been reading, in our very small WH Smiths. Every so often I have a big book clear out but can't quite get rid of the KV books, especially Slapstick.

Currently reading 'The Five', about the victims of Jack the Ripper, and a book about Matthew Hopkins and the Witchfinders of 17th century England.
I liked the BBC sitcom recently of the Witchfinder....yea I know there's no such thing but I've spent many hours trawling round Pendle for my partner on Witchtrails
Purely for research and a pint at the end 😁

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I have a signed first edition of Hocus Pocus. Completely illegible signature. Could be anybodys lol. I can't remember much about the content though, other than that it didn't grab me as much as his earlier works. Perhaps I should re read it. I think Vonnegut books are hard to film so I'll be interested in how that adaption works out.

D

Deleted member 49

Very rarely have I read a book and thought the film was better or even just as good.I rarely bother to be honest,suppose it's the same with remakes of films you like.I don't bother with them either.
Of the top of my head the only film director I can think of is Kubrick...he could give a book the film it deserves.
Vonnegut I'd point blankly refuse to watch a film of his books....I'd just think why 😁

Top Bottom