The Civil Service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
This doesn’t seem to be an answer to my question.

That would be, because, it's not.

I was never a Civil. Servant, but, I did work in several Government departments (and NHS and some "Commissions", ie CQC), as a Contractor, I think, the favourite line of school teachers is applicable ie, "could do better", would be my verdict.

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb
That would be, because, it's not.

Strange that you quoted it then.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
One is tempted to interpret post #2 as a foreshadowing of post #16.

ebikeerwidnes

Number plucked out of thin air to generate a headline
No-one should be just 'making people redundant' - you should go through every job and see if it is still needed and how you can cope without anyone doing it

And also - he says it can be achieved via natural wastage - resignations and retirements - just so he isn;t seen as a bad person

so - presumably these people that are no longer needed and the more experienced ones (retirements) and the ones that are valuable and so can get another job (resignations)
WHich may be trues - but that won;t happen quickly - probably over many years
which he didn;t mention

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb
And also - he says it can be achieved via natural wastage - resignations and retirements - just so he isn;t seen as a bad person

And yet the expectation is that it will be done in three years. Any large employer that loses a fifth of the workforce in three years has a serious staff retention issue.

D

Deleted member 49

Perhaps, I was too polite to say what I really thought?
Did you think "I once waited a while getting through to DVLA/HMRC so getting rid of 90,000 jobs might shake em up a bit" ?

As others have said it's a target plucked from the air by a government that has had to add 55,000 to HMRC to deal with post Brexit friction. The proper way to do it is to review functions and abandon any found to no longer add value but then invest in others. Examples are tired IT in DVLA, the Home Office and legacy benefits, or at least those not being rolled up into Universal Credit.

It's also being reported that the government has resuscitated plans from the Osborne era for further cuts to the Civil Service Compensation Scheme. This gives contractual redundancy pay much more favourable than required by statute. It was previously reformed during the Coalition so as to make it 'fit for another generation'. If they get away with it this time then the cost of losing those who take 'voluntary' redundancy will be significantly reduced.

I was made redundant in 2013 after 35 years under the coalition's reformed scheme. On voluntary terms I got early pension at 55. If I'd let it get to compulsory it would have been weekly pay * years of service but likely capped.

Last edited:
OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb
I hadn't seen that.

My recollection is that it was at least proposed but it may not have actually happened. I do know that customs brokers have been handling much of the additional paperwork burden for businesses via India and Eastern Europe, as reported by Bloomberg and others immediately post Brexit.

Top Bottom