The Dishi-Rishi thread....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can we stop with the cutesy nickname now?

Agreed. I was never in favour of calling Johnson Boris either.

C R

Is that racist? Isn't him just portrayed as a snake for precipitating Boris's demise?

I don't think those kind of people are capable of that level of subtlety. Regardless of how awful Sunak will be as PM, the only reason Truss won is that Sunak is brown.

I'm also convinced that if Mordaunt makes it to the 100 backers and it goes to the membership, Sunak will lose again, because he is brown.

None of that makes him a good prospect for PM. They're orthogonal issues.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
A cobra? Considering Sunak's ethnic and religious background?

I got that it's an Indian snake - which is not inappropriate - just not certain that makes it racist either....

FWIW:
David Campbell Bannerman is a British Conservative Party politician
Born: 28 May 1960 (age 62 years), Mumbai, India

Sunak was born on 12 May 1980 in Southampton

Who's the Indian....

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I don't think those kind of people are capable of that level of subtlety. Regardless of how awful Sunak will be as PM, the only reason Truss won is that Sunak is brown.

I'm also convinced that if Mordaunt makes it to the 100 backers and it goes to the membership, Sunak will lose again, because he is brown.

I think Sunak lost because the dodgy dealing about non dom status was seen as a vote loser. All that's forgotten now it seems and he'll win today because after the Truss debacle he'll be seen as a safe pair of hands. The Tories are very good at putting division aside and uniting behind the party when they need to. They'll be thinking six months of Sunak to see if he can steady the ship and improve the economy, then an April GE.

Edit: It's Divali today, biggest day in the Hindu religious calendar but I doubt we will see Sunak making much of it. There's been a fair bit of conflict between some sections of the Muslim and Hindu communities of late and I think his stance will be not to bring religion into politics at all if he can help it.

Last edited:

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I got that it's an Indian snake - which is not inappropriate - just not certain that makes it racist.

FWIW:
David Campbell Bannerman is a British Conservative Party politician
Born: 28 May 1960 (age 62 years), Mumbai, India

Sunak was born on 12 May 1980 in Southampton

Who's the Indian....

The fact that it can be so easily and obviously interpreted as racist ought to be enough to give anyone pause for thought. And we know that there are sections of the Tory electorate who regard a white person born overseas as more British (English even) than a Brown person born in Hampshire.

It's worth noting that Campbell Bannerman was born in Bombay, not Mumbai.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
The fact that it can be so easily and obviously interpreted as racist ought to be enough to give anyone pause for thought. And we know that there are sections of the Tory electorate who regard a white person born overseas as more British (English even) than a Brown person born in Hampshire.

It's worth noting that Campbell Bannerman was born in Bombay, not Mumbai.

Clearly my interpretation was different. I'll go off and stone myself now....

I'll let you inform Wiki of their error....

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru

Sunak's skin colour was certainly mentioned as a factor in the Tory membership's voting vs. Truss, but is there any evidence to say how much of a factor?
Truss was always the darling of the membership from the very off, that she was a proficient snake-oil salesperson and promised the earth vs. Sunak who was the voice of dull sanity (Brexiteers sunny uplands vs Project fear again), also played a large part....

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Clearly my interpretation was different. I'll go off and stone myself now....

I'll let you inform Wiki of their error....
No need.
Screenshot_20221024-124756_Wikipedia.jpg

Top Bottom