The most corrupt charity?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Perhaps, the moral of the story is do a bit of research before donating?

C R

Sounds like a way to hide brown envelopes to me. Would be interesting to hear what the charity commission think.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I'd like to see the full accounts ideally, with a breakdown of the donations and money raised. Can you claim the tax back when you channel income into a not-for-profit/charity?

C R

I'd like to see the full accounts ideally, with a breakdown of the donations and money raised. Can you claim the tax back when you channel income into a not-for-profit/charity?

I think you can if you are a higher rate tax payer and the donation is large enough.

oldwheels

Nothing very new about charity corruption. I knew an officer of HM Customs &Excise who took an interest in this subject about 60 years ago. It is probably easier nowadays to track down fraudsters but he had an inside track due to his job.
He found in many cases of smallish charities that everything was charged to expenses and the perpetrators made a pretty good living by hiring equipment for example from themselves for as much as they could get away with. The charity they were supposed to be raising money for got a very small token amount.

Bazzer

Given that there are heading towards 1/2 million charities in the UK, ranging from village groups who reuse red telephone boxes for defibrillators, to giants such as Oxfam, HMRC cannot police them all.
As @oldwheels says, it was and still is relatively easy to make a decent living out of a charity. - Provided you are not too greedy and pay attention to detail.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
The charity sector needs an overhaul. Loads of small charities duplicating each others work and so many charities out there now that adequate supervision is impossible. Lots of companies masquerading as charities too, from the ones who knock on doors selling dusters to the 'Help for Heroes' wristband knock offs.

Top Bottom