The most corrupt charity?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Veteran
The charity sector needs an overhaul. Loads of small charities duplicating each others work and so many charities out there now that adequate supervision is impossible. Lots of companies masquerading as charities too, from the ones who knock on doors selling dusters to the 'Help for Heroes' wristband knock offs.
I agree but the problem is that this isn’t near the top of any politicians to do list.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Agreed. It would also cost a lot of money and take forever. I'd really like the Charity Commission to be given more power and a bigger budget. Introducing much stricter criteria for registering a charity than there are currently would be a good start though.

Agreed. It would also cost a lot of money and take forever. I'd really like the Charity Commission to be given more power and a bigger budget. Introducing much stricter criteria for registering a charity than there are currently would be a good start though.

I’m not sure this government has an appetite for increasing the reach and effectiveness of a quango that might investigate think tanks posing as charities.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
GLP on Tufty Club corrupters.

Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF) is a registered charity with considerable influence over MPs and the Government. Their goal is to reduce measures to tackle climate change.

Part of the Tufton Street group of organisations, GWPF has been criticised multiple times over the years for its reliance on anonymous donors, while recent reports revealed one of their donors has millions invested in oil.

After the Charity Commission concluded the promotion of its views did not constitute ‘education’ as GWPF were claiming, it set up Net Zero Watch (NZW) to allow itself to continue lobbying to stop measures that address climate change.

It appears to us Global Warming Policy Foundation is in breach of its duties as a registered charity, including mismanagement of funds - spending several hundred thousand pounds’ worth on one-sided research - and having a financial relationship between GWPF and NZW which breaches charity law.

We're supporting cross-party MPs to write to the Charity Commission to investigate the Global Warming Policy Foundation. We want to raise awareness of its operations and to increase transparency over who funds organizations that have strong influence over the Government.

Top Bottom