The Nasty Party (AKA the Tories), it's back!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Do Netflix offer 7 National radio stations and numerous local stations.
Do they provide regional news, current affairs, religious and educational output. None of which are in anyway commercial but they are required to provide by their charter.
Most importantly is the BBC $20billion in debt? Netflix are operating at a huge loss.

I wasn't arguing Netflix (or any other streamer) better than BBC, I was arguing, good it may be, but, that does not mean improvements cannot be made.

Well, I didn't think I mentioned books, and, I wasn't aware the BBC provided books, but.......
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/metaphor

why can they not provide a better service than Netflix/Prime
I believe they already do but as you point out, ‘better’ can mean many things.

that does not mean improvement (of BBC) is not possible.
Who has said this is so?

I assume that was a way of saying BBC has a wider range of programs available than your average streamer?
Indeed so, but it was also a nod to the BBC’s astonishingly wide ranging online presence.

They even have a hugely valuable “library” of educational materials freely accessible by all.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
A great idea!

Sell your good stuff to a rival provider and reduce your viewing figures.

It's main purpose is as a public service broadcaster.

OK, not to be negative, how about make iPlayer content available, world wide, in competition with the other streamers, and, charge a fee or subscription for none UK TV Licence holders? At present iPlayer content is theoretically unavailable outside of UK, but, this restriction is fairly easy to get around, and, valuable(?) content is thus available free.

OK, not to be negative, how about make iPlayer content available, world wide, in competition with the other streamers, and, charge a fee or subscription for none UK TV Licence holders? At present iPlayer content is theoretically unavailable outside of UK, but, this restriction is fairly easy to get around, and, valuable(?) content is thus available free.
If only they had thought of that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BritBox

it appears I am not alone in my ignorance.
You’d be an asset at the DCMS.

I am well retired now, but, based on my working life experience of various Government Departments, I would be an asset in any of them. Wouldn't tick many boxes however.
Sometimes there’s an opening for an older guy, fortunately for me. How’s your cultural ignorance? You have already admitted having media and sport covered :okay:

Top Bottom