The NCAP Soccerball Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
One of my favourite things about the atmosphere last night was the chant of "Mary, Mary, Mary..." Nike really missed a trick not selling the goalkeeper top. Would have been very popular.

Would they? The paradox is that if Earps and the press had not commented about Nike not making a goalie top, or had made a small number originally, then they would most likely not have been very popular.

It was a PR mistake by Nike (although Adidas and Puma had a similar policy) but goalie tops are not very popular judging by the number I don't see people wearing at football matches or in the street.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Would they? The paradox is that if Earps and the press had not commented about Nike not making a goalie top, or had made a small number originally, then they would most likely not have been very popular.

It was a PR mistake by Nike (although Adidas and Puma had a similar policy) but goalie tops are not very popular judging by the number I don't see people wearing at football matches or in the street.

Not really the point though is it? Nike (et al) have made goalkeeper tops for countless other nations.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Not really the point though is it? Nike (et al) have made goalkeeper tops for countless other nations.

Not for the Women's World Cup. It was an own goal (pun intended) which reflected embarrassingly on their attitude to women's football. My point still stands that goalkeeper jerseys are generally not very popular and probably would not have sold many without the publicity.
Since the publicity it appears the Earps' jersey is the second best selling of the English team.

We won at Ibrox!!!!!

IMG_0661.png

:bravo::hyper::wahhey:

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Another day, another betting scandal, this time Newcastle's Tonali banned for 10 months. They only signed him in summer for a relatively modest £55m and his crimes took place at his previous club, AC Milan. Seems like a slip up by those in charge at SJP not to make sure there wasn't something like this on the horizon.

Pale Rider

Veteran
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67245692

Clarity on the Tonali ban. Seems mad that they weren't aware of the possibility of a ban.

It does seem odd, although we had something similar with Paratici, our director of football.

Everyone appeared to know of the forthcoming ban apart from those in charge at Spurs.

Seems to me there may be a problem with the way disciplinary decisions in Italy are communicated when they apply elsewhere.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
It does seem odd, although we had something similar with Paratici, our director of football.

Everyone appeared to know of the forthcoming ban apart from those in charge at Spurs.

Seems to me there may be a problem with the way disciplinary decisions in Italy are communicated when they apply elsewhere.

Wouldn't surprise me. Communication on legalities in Italy seems somewhat flawed at best.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Rubiales banned for 3 years from footballing activities by FIFA. Good stuff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67262447

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
As if Qatar wasn't criticised enough, the World Cup for 2034 has been awarded to Saudi Arabia.

Still, I suppose at least it's in one country, unlike the insanity of this:

2026 - Mexico, USA & Canada

2030 - Morocco, Spain & Portugal (with opening ceremony stuff in Uruguay, Paraguay and Argentina hosting "anniversary matches")

matticus

Guru
As if Qatar wasn't criticised enough, the World Cup for 2034 has been awarded to Saudi Arabia.

Still, I suppose at least it's in one country, unlike the insanity of this:

2026 - Mexico, USA & Canada

2030 - Morocco, Spain & Portugal (with opening ceremony stuff in Uruguay, Paraguay and Argentina hosting "anniversary matches")

Those two look pretty cool!

<checks value of airline stock holdings ... >

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
The womens would be problematic. Presumably each member of the team would have to be led out by a member of the mens team...

That'd go down reeeeaaaally well! The women's is in 2035 though, and they haven't even decided where 2027 is going to be held yet. That's between:

Belgium, Germany and Netherlands
Mexico and USA
Brazil
South Africa

Top Bottom