The NCAP Soccerball Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Jist got in from work to watch the end of the France v Tunisia and Australia v Denmark matches 😲

Kudos to the ref in the France/Tunisia game for making the correct decision at the end. I bet he wasn't pleased to have had the call from the video official.

D

Deleted member 49

Kudos to the ref in the France/Tunisia game for making the correct decision at the end. I bet he wasn't pleased to have had the call from the video official.
How long did it take ! For all the good of VAR I'm not actually won over by it for that sort of reason.Same as some want sin bins and rugby like refereeing ( not that I know anything about rugby,can't stand it)
The more free flowing the game the better.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me

Im not sure it was the right decision….how they can say greizman was interfering with play is beyond me. He didnt move towards the ball and the tunisian defender had another attacker up against him, poor header and it drops to the now onside greizman, who puts it away…….be pretty angry if that decision was against my team

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Im not sure it was the right decision….how they can say greizman was interfering with play is beyond me. He didnt move towards the ball and the tunisian defender had another attacker up against him, poor header and it drops to the now onside greizman, who puts it away…….be pretty angry if that decision was against my team

I suppose the interpretation was that he would not have been in a position to score if he had not benefitted by literally only just stepping back from an offside position just in front of goal.

I am sure we will hear from the French officials and press if they disagree strongly.

D

Deleted member 49

Me too,at first I thought it was for a push on the Tunisian defender.The rule requires an offside to be called if the opponent forces the defender to make a move they otherwise wouldn't have had to make if he was onside ?
Bit of a grey area as they were saying it's because the defender was forced into a clearance.
Anyway I'm happy for the end result and it'll have cost the bookies big !

Last edited by a moderator:

jowwy

Me too,at first I thought it was for a push on the Tunisian defender.The rule requires an offside to be called if the opponent forces the defender to make a move they otherwise wouldn't have had to make if he was onside ?
Bit of a grey area as they were saying it's because the defender was forced into a clearance.
Anyway I'm happy for the end result and it'll have cost the bookies big !

Forced into a clearence by the player he was up against, but not forced by griezman himself….its an odd one for me.

jowwy

I suppose the interpretation was that he would not have been in a position to score if he had not benefitted by literally only just stepping back from an offside position just in front of goal.

I am sure we will hear from the French officials and press if they disagree strongly.

But he didnt force the header, therefore phase 2 is in play…..its one of those weird ones

Rusty Nails

Country Member
How long did it take ! For all the good of VAR I'm not actually won over by it for that sort of reason.Same as some want sin bins and rugby like refereeing ( not that I know anything about rugby,can't stand it)

I am not a great fan of VAR, either in football or rugby. It does slow the game down too much.

Strict refereeing and sin bins do not slow the game down, in fact they add to the game by opening it up to the disadvantage of the penalising team. Yellow cards are no great deterrent as they are treated cynically as a necessity by defenders in some cases. Players surrounding referees to argue the toss also slow the game down.

D

Deleted member 49

I am not a great fan of VAR, either in football or rugby. It does slow the game down too much.

Strict refereeing and sin bins do not slow the game down, in fact they add to the game by opening it up to the disadvantage of the penalising team. Yellow cards are no great deterrent as they are treated cynically as a necessity by defenders in some cases. Players surrounding referees to argue the toss also slow the game down.
Yea i take your point.I wasn't thinking further than VAR which I'm not mad on.Im stuck in the past.I sort of like the dodgy decisions and the refs a w@nker atmosphere ! Might aswell go back to the 70s and just sort the odd dispute with a good old fist fight ? Leeds stylee....

The game might flow more freely if it wasn't for hacking your opponent down, diving, and arguing with the Ref...

D

Deleted member 49

The game might flow more freely if it wasn't for hacking your opponent down, diving, and arguing with the Ref...
If only someone hadn't thought of that in the last 100 years.
If we're talking VAR I'd say it's sh1t for people that actually go the the matches Tonights game what 6 mins or so later we get a decision that's debatable at best.Remember watching match of the day as a kid and pundits saying video evidence would clear that up on seconds!
One person/referees bad tackle is another's good.Arguing with the ref ? Part of the drama.Its a sport with passion and opiniated views and I love it for that.Goal line technology etc has been good.Im still not sold on the rest.

albion

Veteran
The problem with VAR is that the officials only officiate because of their diplomatic skills.
It is that same cowardice from the ref that leads to all the overtime.
British refs in tournaments are just as bad.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
The problem with VAR is that the officials only officiate because of their diplomatic skills.
It is that same cowardice from the ref that leads to all the overtime.
British refs in tournaments are just as bad.

Different games can show up some good ideas. In Rugby they don't play to 80 (or 40 for the first half) minutes and add on stoppage time but the ref just stops the clock for delays and full time comes when the clock says 80 mins. Not perfect, but there's no waiting till the end to find there's still 7/8 minutes to go.

Top Bottom