The NCAP Soccerball Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
VAR image of japan decision, clearly the ball was in play.......right decision to award the goal. Wrong decision to not show this picture during the game

1669974305014.png

jowwy

Not "clearly" at the time though.

i did state the wrong decision was not showing the picture during the replays....if they did, people would clearly see it was in play.

BUT, the right decision was made

Rusty Nails

Country Member
i did state the wrong decision was not showing the picture during the replays....if they did, people would clearly see it was in play.

BUT, the right decision was made

Let's hope the line painters were correct, down to the millimetre, in the positioning and width of the line.

Sometimes it seems better to just go back to relying on human judgement, with all its flaws, and accepting that mistakes can be made in a game between human beings.

Everything else in the game relies on human judgement and mistakes. I am not convinced that VAR has improved the game of football.

D

Deleted member 49

Let's hope the line painters were correct, down to the millimetre, in the positioning and width of the line.

Sometimes it seems better to just go back to relying on human judgement, with all its flaws, and accepting that mistakes can be made in a game between human beings.

Everything else in the game relies on human judgement and mistakes. I am not convinced that VAR has improved the game of football.
I don't know why those sort of decisions,goal line etc can't be like say Wimbledon ? Seems easy there to show exactly where a ball landed etc...some smartarse will be along to say why it's different 🙄
But agree I'd rather it be left up to human error !

matticus

Guru
I don't know why those sort of decisions,goal line etc can't be like say Wimbledon ? Seems easy there to show exactly where a ball landed etc...some smartarse will be along to say why it's different 🙄

You called!!!

^_^

I don't know how different it is - but I do know that WImbledon's hawkeye has a heck of a lot less turf to cover (and the players are rarely in the way).

But no, generally I prefer human error in ALL sports. Even tennis lines-people get 99% of calls right - that's a lot less errors than the players make, they didn't really need Hawkeye.

Cricket gets it much closer to "right" than soccer, so far; limited number of reviews, and they have the "on field Umpire's call" concept, which I think is good.

Also the margins on things like LBW are soooooo hard for the human eye.

jowwy

Lines can be as thick or wide as you want…..its the line on the day and pitch size of the day, as they are all different too

D

Deleted member 49

Lines can be as thick or wide as you want…..its the line on the day and pitch size of the day, as they are all different too
Nah....they'll be a min and a max dimension surely

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
VAR image of japan decision, clearly the ball was in play.......right decision to award the goal. Wrong decision to not show this picture during the game

View attachment 2591

I fully accept that the photo illustrates the ball still in play. What it doesn't show is the moment afterwards when the impetus of the ball and the counter force of compression from the player's foot may have ''flattened'' the ball into an oblate spheroid. In such a situation it may be possible for the in-play fraction of the ball to continue to move beyond the touch line even when there's an opposing force applied. Establishing or disproving this would require input from physicists with expertise in elastic ballistics. I fear we have few of these hereabouts.

Top Bottom