The Queen / The Monarchy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Shaman
You may not have known who Colston was, but plenty of us did, and plenty of Bristol's large afro-caribbean population found it to be a daily affront.

I once saw Mötorhead live in Colston Hall by the way

icowden

Legendary Member
Removing a statue is not removing history. It is removing an object whose sole purpose is to venerate.
Again, I have to question your research here. A statue is not necessarily built to venerate. They can also be built to commemorate or memorialise. The statue was erected to commemorate his reputation in Bristol as a philanthropist, not to venerate his status as a human being. It was intended as a counterpoint to the statue of Edmund Burke.

icowden

Legendary Member
You may not have known who Colston was, but plenty of us did, and plenty of Bristol's large afro-caribbean population found it to be a daily affront.
I hope you aren't speaking on behalf of all of them and have appropriate data to back that up. I can't bear people who claim to speak for everyone.

icowden

Legendary Member
I'm confused about your point TBH. But if it's that we should chuck the royal family in the harbour to create an act of historical meaning, I can totally get behind it.
We have digressed a lot I confess. The original point was that the Royal family are not statues and have a lot more relationship to history, but then conceding the point that even statues can be useful indicators for historical discussion.

My personal view is that the Royal family are a net benefit to the UK and therefore we should keep them. Change it up a bit, slim it down, make it a bit more normal, but keep them.

Not Andrew though.

multitool

Shaman
Still gets paid

Rusty Nails

Country Member
A brighter person would have recognised the sarcasm and not chosen to play a tedious game of faux naiveté.

What is your next trick going to be? Pooing yourself and wiping it on your face for a reaction?

If I had wished the intended aim to be overt, it would have been so.

As to the rest of your post, much like your previous attempts to estimate location, character and hobbies, you are p1ssing in the wind.

But, typically, most of it has gone on your trousers.

Do you think I should change it to something deliberately self-satirising instead?

(@theclaud, the idiot magnet strikes again ;) )

It's all very amusing for us with ringside seats, but if this was a boxing match the ref would have stopped it by now.

There are no debating rules so you are on a hiding to nothing and will not beat @shep in an insult-off. It is like water off a duck's back as he is not concerned about trying to 'win' or look as if he is smarter, he just does it for the craic.

multitool

Shaman
I hope you aren't speaking on behalf of all of them and have appropriate data to back that up. I can't bear people who claim to speak for everyone.

Perhaps you like me to explain to you the difference between the words "plenty" and "all".

multitool

Shaman
Still gets paid, for not working? Something for nothing? What's your view on that Shep?

Actually I may be mistaken. He is paid, but it is a little opaque as to by whom. He receives £20k a year from his RN pension. He no longer receives sovereign grant. Mummy paid off his sex victim though.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Weird. If someone else writes something that was close to what I would have written, I don't generally feel the need to repeat it. Perhaps this is a difference in the way forum discourse is understood, between individualists on the one hand and various kinds of collectivist or communitarian on the other. My interjection was intended not as a coherent political proposition but as a throwaway rebuttal of the idea that democracy is a callow preoccupation, and we will all mature into people who spout platitudes about what an amazing 'job' the queen did. This lengthy explanation kills the gag, IMO - it must be a barrel of laughs down the Swan and Paedo. Anyway, if you need me to type it myself - the royal family represent all the worst things about the nation. Hierarchy, deference, obscene inequality, imperialism, racism, patriarchy and misogyny, authoritarianism, unaccountability. Of course they're popular in some quarters, because some idiots love all that stuff.

You make them sound almost normal. ;)

Top Bottom