The Queen / The Monarchy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Shaman
Strange comment - some people knew exactly who Edward Colston was and what the statue represented. They didn't tear down a random statue. There was a possibility to use the statue to further education of his historical role, but that possibility was denied - too bloody 'woke' by half.

Statues are not 'history'.

Removing a statue is not removing history. It is removing an object whose sole purpose is to venerate.

multitool

Shaman
So come on then, what exactly was the 'aim'?

Almost an insult there, shouldn't it say 'grade 8 pink hobo player' in your signature?

I think you meant 'oboe', but didn't know how to spell it. And the misspelt homophobic slur is entirely in keeping.

D

Deleted member 28

Removing a statue is not removing history. It is removing an object whose sole purpose is to venerate.

You really need to change your name to 'megatool' because that's how you really do come across.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip

I don't think he was saying it was, to be fair - I took it to be a reference to the public conversation about the meaning of Colston memorials across the city that preceded that statue incident.

D

Deleted member 28

I think you meant 'oboe', but didn't know how to spell it. And the misspelt homophobic slur is entirely in keeping.

I assumed you were a 'gamer', apologies.

Anyway, look up 'hobo fighting game', perhaps not as smart as you think?

bobzmyunkle

I don't think he was saying it was, to be fair - I took it to be a reference to the public conversation about the meaning of Colston memorials across the city that preceded that statue incident.
Given MTs self-identified superior intellect, you'd think he might have understood that.

Ian H

Guru
Strange comment - some people knew exactly who Edward Colston was and what the statue represented. They didn't tear down a random statue. There was a possibility to use the statue to further education of his historical role, but that possibility was denied - too bloody 'woke' by half.
Some Bristolians knew about Colston. After the statue was finally removed most of the nation knew about him. That was good use of a statue to educate people. Do you know it was only put up against local opposition nearly 200yrs after Colston died, and as a reactionary gesture against the erection in the city of a statue of the abolitionist Edmund Burke.

bobzmyunkle

Do you know it was only put up against local opposition nearly 200yrs after Colston died, and as a reactionary gesture against the erection in the city of a statue of the abolitionist Edmund Burke.
I didn't know that - who says NACA isn't educational.

multitool

Shaman
Given MTs self-identified superior intellect, you'd think he might have understood that.

I understood perfectly. Part of the public debate was about statues and the misconceived idea that they are 'history'. My response to you was developing the point rather than objecting to it.

icowden

Legendary Member
Correct. The fact that there was a statue there was of no import to anyone. No-one took any notice of the statue. Schools did not teach who Edward Colston was. Most people walking past just thought "oh a statue". It was the act of removing and vandalising it that started a conversation about who he was and why his statue was there. It started discussion about Empire and the slave trade and how profits from that were invested in Bristol, London etc and why Bristol refers to him so much.

His statue is now in a museum and we have learned much about his philanthropy off the back of slave trade profits. People wanted the statue removed from 1920 (25 years after it was erected) up until the present day. It is the trigger for debate as to whether he was "good or evil".

Statues can be useful and interesting. They are not history, but they help us connect with our history and understand where our traditions, buildings, schools, wealth etc came from.

Top Bottom