The Queen / The Monarchy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Well said H...
Prince Harry: “Democracy fails when your press fails to scrutinise and hold the government accountable, and instead choose to get into bed with them so they can ensure the status quo.”

I don't quite get the connection between Prince Harry and Democracy, did I miss a vote?

matticus

Guru
I don't quite get the connection between Prince Harry and Democracy, did I miss a vote?

Hence the bolded words:
“Democracy fails when your press fails to scrutinise and hold the government accountable, and instead choose to get into bed with them so they can ensure the status quo.”

What is your problem with what he said?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Sometimes truths come from unexpected directions. Why not see the positives in that?!?

This seems to have upset you?

I repeat, I don’t have a problem with the message, just the messenger.

I would, I doubt the message is an original “Harry thought”.

matticus

Guru
This seems to have upset you?

I repeat, I don’t have a problem with the message, just the messenger.

I would, I doubt the message is an original “Harry thought”.

Upset? No, I just raised an eyebrow at your post - it seemed illogical, not well thought through.

Can't you just say "I don't like Harry, because <blah blah, see posts x-lxii etc>" ? Or is there something else that you can't bring yourself to say? Who knows!

icowden

Legendary Member
Can we crowd fund a guillotine or two?
Why? What's the point of shooting the person who has no say in what money he is given. The sovereign fund is decided on and controlled by Parliament. Cameron introduced the current arrangements.

I agree that this has a bad optic, but you also have to look at what the sovereign fund is for. Charles isn't buying Lamborgini's and super yachts. Most of the money goes to repairing / refurbishing our historic palaces and the remainder on public functions, Royal visits etc that the King is expected to host.

A better question would be about personal profits from the Duchy of Cornwall etc, although again, it would be better to look at how and where the money is spent and see if it could be better directed.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Chop Chop.jpg

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Why? What's the point of shooting the person who has no say in what money he is given. The sovereign fund is decided on and controlled by Parliament. Cameron introduced the current arrangements.

The complicated formula used to determine the sovereign grant was introduced in 2011 by the then prime minister, David Cameron, and his chancellor, George Osborne. Removing parliament’s centuries-old control over royal funding, they created a new formula that tied the monarch’s funding to a percentage of the profits of the crown estate.

Under the arrangement, that percentage is decided by the so-called royal trustees: the prime minister, chancellor and the king’s financial adviser. Since 2017, they have set the percentage at a rate of 25% of the estate’s net profits, resulting in a steady increase in funding for the monarchy as its profits increased

Top Bottom