The Queen / The Monarchy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...rry-decision-tabloids-contributed-family-rift

Charles was certainly right. It would have been middling for William, and is easier for Harry.
In his younger days, Charles was so often taunted by the press.

The problem might go away if these people's institution was abolished. No more monarchy, no more press harassment of the monarchy. I have some sympathy in that they can't help the womb they were born out of, but no further....

Ian H

Legendary Member
The problem might go away if these people's institution was abolished. No more monarchy, no more press harassment of the monarchy. I have some sympathy in that they can't help the womb they were born out of, but no further....

The royals have it easy these days: no beheadings or incarcerations. Is the press worse than it used to be?

So the point of elevating a random family to highness is to make money and entertain tourists?

Not that I see much evidence of that.
according to this article: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...age annual cost,economy in the same timeframe.
It brings in roughly 4x what it costs
While the average annual cost for UK taxpayers in royal upkeep comes to around £500m a year, Brand Finance estimates the monarchy’s brand contributes £2.5bn to the British economy in the same timeframe.

albion

Guru
Removing the monarchy would be like a mini Brexit. Same for the BBC.

And most of the Netflix type subs go abroad thus decreasing net UK wealth.
I am certainly not a monarchist.

All uphill

Removing the monarchy would be like a mini Brexit. Same for the BBC.

And most of the Netflix type subs go abroad thus decreasing net UK wealth.
I am certainly not a monarchist.

Removing royalty would be a giant step, like Brexit.

But, in my opinion, a step forwards, not backwards.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
What a load of sh!te.

The benefits of the royal family are few and far between in real/genuine terms to actual people and not the elites who are propped up by them.

Saying that, some of them are cool. Harry for a start.

Agree with your 2nd statement

Harry is a product of system, spoilt rich boy, but, definitely not cool (IMHO, of course)

Last edited:

Beebo

Veteran
My only concern about getting rid of a non elected head of state is what dross we could get in its place.

Someone like Johnson or Farage would love to be a ceremonial president.

I would like to hear other people’s suggestions of how we deal with that conundrum.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
My only concern about getting rid of a non elected head of state is what dross we could get in its place.

Someone like Johnson or Farage would love to be a ceremonial president.

I would like to hear other people’s suggestions of how we deal with that conundrum.

Lottery. Every six months they pick a name out of everyone on the electoral register and that person gets to be head of state. Live in the palace, do all the waving and opening hospitals and stuff, meet the foreign ambassadors. Be a true reflection of who we are as a country.

Top Bottom