The Queen / The Monarchy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ebikeerwidnes

Would you be on for stripping the institution back? Get rid of the hangers on, a few of the palaces, give up the land holdings?

I think the King is stripping it back a lot already - and may well do more
but, as the recent illnesses - and advancing age - has shown, they need a certain number of high profile Royals to fulfill the duties expected of them by "the people"

As far as the Palaces are concerned - then what??
maintained by charities?? But where do they get the money from??

Land holdings?? - hmm - problem is that the land is generally well used and run in a responsible manner (as far as I know)
so handing it back would open it up to less responsible use
and a lot of owned by them personally rather than by "The Crown" - so it would have to be bought back
although that concept just opens up a whole new bag of worms!!!!

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Would you be on for stripping the institution back? Get rid of the hangers on, a few of the palaces, give up the land holdings?

Think of the trouble Charles and Camilla will have heating up all those homes now that the heating allowance will be taken off them...assuming they're not on pension credits or other benefits (unless money from the civil list counts as a means tested benefit).

Ian H

Legendary Member
I'm interested in why people think that a democratic vote as applied to a head of state would be so bad. Do you mean even worse than having one imposed by accident of birth, no matter what the morals, capabilities or views of said person?
The monarchs of this country have only ever been concerned with their own survival.

ebikeerwidnes

I'm interested in why people think that a democratic vote as applied to a head of state would be so bad. Do you mean even worse than having one imposed by accident of birth, no matter what the morals, capabilities or views of said person?
The monarchs of this country have only ever been concerned with their own survival.

Well the extra circus of election speeches and policies - plus the cost of doing it - comes to mind first

Also - who would stand and why?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
We have a head of state because our constitution says we have one - a monarch in our case - but there is no real need to have one in a parliamentary democracy if we don't want one.

I am not a fan of the monarchy but at least it is symbolic rather than having any say in how the country is run, although that symbolism is admittedly archaic and trickles down via our class system.

I am not in favour of having an elected presidential head of state, even a democratically elected one, because of the damage they can do, when these days Presidential elections are popularity contests won by the biggest personality with the best PR team and best use of the media. We would end up with someone like Boris as President.

We have a head of state because our constitution says we have one - a monarch in our case - but there is no real need to have one in a parliamentary democracy if we don't want one.

I am not a fan of the monarchy but at least it is symbolic rather than having any say in how the country is run, although that symbolism is admittedly archaic and trickles down via our class system.

I am not in favour of having an elected presidential head of state, even a democratically elected one, because of the damage they can do, when these days Presidential elections are popularity contests won by the biggest personality with the best PR team and best use of the media. We would end up with someone like Boris as President.

This is my view. We have a Prime minister - who needs more than that? Well apart from the ceremonial goat obvs....

Reactions: C R

Ian H

Legendary Member

Could you show me where the constitution states this?

Beebo

Veteran
We have an unwritten constitution. It’s just a collection of case law and conventions.
But the head of state plays a big part in it.

So there would need to be lots of changes to accommodate a lack of head of state.
I’m sure it could be done.

bobzmyunkle

I’m sure it could be done.
Great. Let's get on with it then.

spen666

Interesting point.
Is there any country that has a prime minister, but no formal head of state eg a monarch or a president?

[ Realise as I ask this, there is probably some glaringly obvious ones]

Bazzer

Interesting point.
Is there any country that has a prime minister, but no formal head of state eg a monarch or a president?

[ Realise as I ask this, there is probably some glaringly obvious ones]
An interesting point. Although as a Prime Minister is a head of government not a head of state, I can't readily think of a country where there is not one without the other.
On the other hand, a head of state doesn't necessarily need a Prime Minister. The US and Mexico both have presidents, but no Prime Minister.

Top Bottom