The UK Union. Past its Best Before Date?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

As the future of the Union looks to be an open question what are your views?

Keep the marriage together, stay friends or recognise it was all a mistake?

For clarity I'd be happy to see the four nations develop their futures independently outside the Union.

A United Ireland where the six counties are absorbed into the Republic is politically difficult but economically relatively straightforward.

A mandate for independent Scotland may be politically straightforward but economically very difficult indeed.

Yes, it's well past its sell by date.

The Union did its part well at one point but now, it's brain dead and on life support. It's not going to take much to switch that life support off.

You have to realise that the SNP gov has been in power in Scotland for 15 years and they're still winning national and local election well, by large margins in some areas. That should tell you the direction of travel.

All caused by the Conservative and Unionist Party.

Last edited:
I'm happy for the constituent parts to go their own ways if that's the choice they make.

I'm not sure there is yet sufficient support for an independent Wales.

I worry that Scotland will have to negotiate with an England that has recently demonstrated a bad faith approach when dealing with other countries.

The North of Ireland should be better protected if it joins the Republic since it will immediately regain all the benefits of EU membership.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

If Scotland gain independence, which is probably a good idea at this point, and reapplies to join the EU, after the qualifying period how will the border work?

Better than the GB/NI border currently does, hopefully!

There will be lots of stuff to unpick and sort out; so long as there are competent governments acting in good faith I'm sure it can all be resolved. Not much to ask!

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
If Scotland gain independence, which is probably a good idea at this point, and reapplies to join the EU, after the qualifying period how will the border work?

As I understand it, an independent Scotland would not insist on a hard border. So the nature of that border would be down to rUK.

What you might find interesting is that during the 2014 referendum, a hard border was part of the scare tactics used by Unionist Project Fear campaigners - as was the threat of an independent Scotland being forced out of the EU.

Funnily enough, the prospect of a hard border isn't seen as that much of a threat any more.

Cirrus

As I understand it, an independent Scotland would not insist on a hard border. So the nature of that border would be down to rUK.

What you might find interesting is that during the 2014 referendum, a hard border was part of the scare tactics used by Unionist Project Fear campaigners - as was the threat of an independent Scotland being forced out of the EU.

Funnily enough, the prospect of a hard border isn't seen as that much of a threat any more.

I was under the impression that if Scotland became independent and then joined the EU there must be a hard border? But It may be less clear cut if they didn’t join the EU?

The brief bit of Googling I did seems to indicate that at any rate.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
It might have 1.6k likes but this is surely Gerry Adams' best Twitter moment:

DQ1GPRhXUAAoA9N.jpg

If Engerlund, Jockland, Taffyland and Ulstershires can't get on, no surprise then that we left the Europeeing Union with the Frogs, Krauts, Pastanoshers and all.....

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

So NACA recommends a United Ireland ( in the EU), an independent Scotland in the EU, all subject to a mandate from those nations populations.

What about Wales?

Top Bottom