Therese Coughy....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Self-employed can simply withdraw their labour, just like everyone else. The difference is that they lose out personally, so they don't because they aren't stupid.

If you are self employed you are likely to price your product or service according to what the market is willing to pay. If you can’t make a profit at that price you will have to either walk away, find different customers, or make changes to your business. This is not striking in any meaningful sense.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
There’s always a compromise. Both sides know this.
I know that, so do you. Which is why my money is safe, because absolutely no-one on here believes the union can win and will take the bet.

But when unions sell these demands to their members they don't explain that the initial demand is the opening shot in a negotiation, they say this is what you are striking for and we can achieve it if we stay strong and together for long enough. No union can hold it together that long though. As I said above, union leaders never lose a days pay, and the union can never have enough of a war-chest to pay the wages of the workers.

So the people who lose out, and eventually have to settle for a poor compromise when they were promised the earth, are the members.

I know that, so do you. Which is why my money is safe, because absolutely no-one on here believes the union can win and will take the bet.

But when unions sell these demands to their members they don't explain that the initial demand is the opening shot in a negotiation, they say this is what you are striking for and we can achieve it if we stay strong and together for long enough. No union can hold it together that long though. As I said above, union leaders never lose a days pay, and the union can never have enough of a war-chest to pay the wages of the workers.

So the people who lose out, and eventually have to settle for a poor compromise when they were promised the earth, are the members.

I don’t think union members are as daft as you pretend.

If you are offered 5, ask for 20 and settle for 10 you haven’t lost. Everybody knows this.

D

Deleted member 28

I don’t think union members are as daft as you pretend.

If you are offered 5, ask for 20 and settle for 10 you haven’t lost. Everybody knows this.

How much is lost in the meantime achieving the 10% (if it happens) though?

I understand it's consolidated so it's paid for the rest of your employment but sometimes there's a fine balance in my opinion.

We got £1500 (5% average) but the union wants 'at least 10%' and we've been out 8 days up to yet which is £1600 for me and absolutely no sign of a return to the table is being considered.

Mr Celine

They all fail and end up agreeing for a much lesser deal and the losers are not the union leaders who get a big payrise and lose no money for going on strike, but the public and the union members.
Not in my recent experience.

Employers' final offer rejected.

After a ballot for strike action a final final offer is made. This is also rejected.

A small number of members, targeted for maximum effect, go on strike. They get strike pay from the union equivalent to their normal wages. After a short strike a final final final offer is put to members and accepted.

It is, of course, less than the original demand but is more than double the final offer. And none of the strikers lost any money.

Payday on Monday :wahhey:

How much is lost in the meantime achieving the 10% (if it happens) though?

I understand it's consolidated so it's paid for the rest of your employment but sometimes there's a fine balance in my opinion.

We got £1500 (5% average) but the union wants 'at least 10%' and we've been out 8 days up to yet which is £1600 for me and absolutely no sign of a return to the table is being considered.

Is it possible that other employees are affected more than someone with long service who is close to retirement? Might they also fear for their future terms and conditions, their pensions, even their ongoing employment?

My understanding of the case made by the CWU, and I know you disagree, is that your strike is about more than just a headline cash increase.

Solidarity, brother.

D

Deleted member 28

Is it possible that other employees are affected more than someone with long service who is close to retirement? Might they also fear for their future terms and conditions, their pensions, even their ongoing employment?

My understanding of the case made by the CWU, and I know you disagree, is that your strike is about more than just a headline cash increase.

Solidarity, brother.

It's all about the cash, I've pointed you to the link already.

I work for them, it's the union I'm a member of and it was the ballot I voted in so don't you think I should know what I'M actually striking for compared to someone who has just found something on the Internet?

D

Deleted member 28

Not in my recent experience.

Employers' final offer rejected.

After a ballot for strike action a final final offer is made. This is also rejected.

A small number of members, targeted for maximum effect, go on strike. They get strike pay from the union equivalent to their normal wages. After a short strike a final final final offer is put to members and accepted.

It is, of course, less than the original demand but is more than double the final offer. And none of the strikers lost any money.

Payday on Monday :wahhey:

Who was that?

We got given a pay rise, union wanted more but company said no so they balloted and got the vote.

Had 8 days strike up to yet with no pay and absolutely no sign of more talks, all overtime stopped as well (not surprisingly) so experiences differ.

The mail workers getting anywhere?

I do think they have cause to strike as it happens because their T&C's are being changed dramatically.

D

Deleted member 28

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...e dispute relates to,original offer of £1,200).

D

Deleted member 49

I work for them, it's the union I'm a member of and it was the ballot I voted in so don't you think I should know what I'M actually striking for compared to someone who has just found something on the Internet?
What about all the call centre workers for BT who aren't on such money or conditions.Do you think you should support them ?
What was your vote to strike,over 90% if I remember right ?
You'll feel good about helping your colleagues I'm sure of it.

I’m not dismissing your view, just questioning it.

Your own union says something a little more nuanced, and many of your colleagues don’t seem to see things in the same way as you. BT obviously has the resources to hold out longer than most employees.

BTW, fair play for earning 5% of your salary in just eight working days. That’s a pretty good shift pattern and holiday entitlement someone negotiated for you.

Edit: why don’t we take this back to the ‘Strike!’ thread?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 28

What about all the call centre workers for BT who aren't on such money or conditions.Do you think you should support them ?
What was your vote to strike,over 90% if I remember right ?
You'll feel good about helping your colleagues I'm sure of it.

I am supporting them but just remember the lower paid had the highest raise (8%) and I just don't think it's a battle we can win, I'm enjoying the time off to be honest but doubt we'll get anything.

D

Deleted member 28

I’m not dismissing your view, just questioning it.

Your own union says something a little more nuanced, and many of your colleagues clearly don’t seem to see things in the same way as you. BT obviously has the resources to hold out longer than most employees.

BTW, fair play for earning 5% of your salary in just eight working days. That’s a pretty good shift pattern and holiday entitlement someone negotiated for you.

Edit: why don’t we take this back to the ‘Strike!’ thread?

Sorry, thought it was as I just clicked on the post.
What are the other reasons as a matter of interest?

It was an average of 5% (read the link) it worked out at less than 3% for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom