Therese Coughy....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Guru
Striking is a thing of the past. I have said it lots on here, striking seems great, but it leads workers in to an inevitable black hole from which they emerge weaker.

British Leyland, British Rail, miners, the current rail strikes, the common denominator is that they all end if failure. No employer can give what they demand, the Unions know this and yet they still lead their members out in a 'we can win brothers way'. They all fail and end up agreeing for a much lesser deal and the losers are not the union leaders who get a big payrise and lose no money for going on strike, but the public and the union members.

The nurses strike which is planned will be a disaster as nurses won't properly strike. They are demanding a 16% increase, and the RCN are offering a payment of £50 per day to all striking nurses, on a band 5, during a 12 hour shift, a mid-point nurse will be earning about £160 per day. So they will strike, and get £100 per day less, then be advised to settle for something like 6% over three years in 3 months time. Fucking lunacy.

So sure am I about this, that I am willing to bet someone on here £10 to a charity of the winners choosing that the nurses fail in their 16% pay claim. Who will take that on? Surely someone will be so confident in the power of the unions to beat the Government?
That's a very sound argument for increasing workers' rights and removing the entirely unfair laws on union activities.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Incorrect. In the case of the RMT, Mick Lynch donates his salary on strike days to the union’s hardship fund.

So I am completely correct and accurate then?

Mick Lynch does not lose a days pay, he chooses to donate it. Other officers at his union will not choose that course of action, and there is no indication that nursing leaders have chosen to do that.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
That's a very sound argument for increasing workers' rights and removing the entirely unfair laws on union activities.
I would not disagree with that.

My point remains, that striking is a busted flush when it comes to getting the demands met, not that the pay and rights should not be increased/strengthened etc.

As ever, it is easy to paint me as the Token Conservative defending the Government, that's fine, but if you read what I am saying and not just who wrote it, then probably there is not as much gap as you think there is.

Now, is no-one willing to take my bet of £10 to charity that the unions fail?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
I would not disagree with that.

My point remains, that striking is a busted flush when it comes to getting the demands met, not that the pay and rights should not be increased/strengthened etc.

As ever, it is easy to paint me as the Token Conservative defending the Government, that's fine, but if you read what I am saying and not just who wrote it, then probably there is not as much gap as you think there is.

Now, is no-one willing to take my bet of £10 to charity that the unions fail?

where does it say that unions are after 16%???? and don't you think that's the upper limit and then the negotiate down???

D

Deleted member 49

As ever, it is easy to paint me as the Token Conservative defending the Government, that's fine
You do seem to be though,although oddly you never try and enter into a discussion about what a sh1tshow it's been ?
Stick your tenner in a fund for nurses....it's called negotiations for a reason.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
where does it say that unions are after 16%????
No, it appears you are correct, it may not be 16%. The communication I got is asking for 5% over the current inflation rate. Current inflation is nearly 13%, so the demand by the time the strikes happen may well be 18%.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
You do seem to be though,although oddly you never try and enter into a discussion about what a sh1tshow it's been ?
Stick your tenner in a fund for nurses....it's called negotiations for a reason.
No, it has been an absolute car-crash recently. Totally embarrassing the way the Liz Truss allowed that all to happen.

Still better than a Labour government though. Keir Starmer will be an absolute disaster. It was summed up nicely by James Cleverley yesterday, Keir Starmer can take all the positions he likes, he doesn't have to make any decisions.

Maybe you would like to send me a tenner then?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
If you are self employed you are likely to price your product or service according to what the market is willing to pay. If you can’t make a profit at that price you will have to either walk away, find different customers, or make changes to your business. This is not striking in any meaningful sense.

Isn't the bolded bit true of just about any Company (excluding Nationalised, Government Quangos, Local Authorities )?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 49

No, it has been an absolute car-crash recently. Totally embarrassing the way the Liz Truss allowed that all to happen.

Still better than a Labour government though. Keir Starmer will be an absolute disaster. It was summed up nicely by James Cleverley yesterday, Keir Starmer can take all the positions he likes, he doesn't have to make any decisions.

Was that pro Jonshon...pro Lizzie....pro Sunak James Cleverley lol.
Mind you you didn't really have a lot of choice there did you...every one of them is " feck not you again"
As for the tenner thanks but I've stuck my contribution in the relevant pot.

jowwy

No, it appears you are correct, it may not be 16%. The communication I got is asking for 5% over the current inflation rate. Current inflation is nearly 13%, so the demand by the time the strikes happen may well be 18%.

Official inflation rate is 10.1….so where you getting 13%, you do seem very confused over the figures

jowwy

Kier starmer would be a disaster……ffs we have just has bojo, lizzie and rishi all crashed the economy and you got the brass neck to say starmer would be a disaster……

farking typical of you tory fark jobs

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Official inflation rate is 10.1….so where you getting 13%, you do seem very confused over the figures

The RPI is nearly 13%, the higher of the two rates. Now do you think that the union is asking for 5% over the higher or lower of the two inflation rates?

Top Bottom