UK set to criminalise illicit refugee crossings....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

So you don't want to talk about how refugees and asylum seekers are draining the economy by forcing us to lock them up and send them back to conflict zones, then? That's a shame. 🙄
Er...............no.😁

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Er...............no.😁
Oh, you're full of surprises, ain'cha? :laugh:

icowden

Legendary Member
More hostile environment....
It's this asshattery that really annoys me:
Michael Gove has said that security checks would establish whether people “are who they say they are” and prevent the scheme “being exploited possibly by criminal elements”. The Home Office is carrying out checks that the people offering up their homes are in a position to provide that support.
Yes Michael. If you didn't have checks then of course it would be the criminals who would take advantage first. That's all they want to do, come over here and rob banks.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
It's this asshattery that really annoys me:

Yes Michael. If you didn't have checks then of course it would be the criminals who would take advantage first. That's all they want to do, come over here and rob banks.
Salisbury poisoners came in as tourist....

FFS, the Tories have been giving criminals golden visas and peerages. But hey, people fleeing war and persecution, dead dodgy....

icowden

Legendary Member
Salisbury poisoners came in as tourist....
Yes. Not as s***ing asylum seekers or refugees. In any dataset there will be outliers but the majority will be what was expected. You don't plan something based on there being the tiny possibility of an outlier.

Make it easy, and do checks afterwards. The person wishing to house a refugee is doing it at their own risk just as they would if they were offering shelter to anyone in the UK.

If your skin isn’t pale you need to be filthy rich to be welcomed here.

View: https://twitter.com/channel4news/status/1509208629043466247?s=21&t=belb7EF50WR7BaRVeuReXg

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
However, there is always hope....

View: https://www.facebook.com/959478177408136/posts/5027905250565388/?sfnsn=scwspmo

Today at just after 1.30pm the Hastings RNLI were tasked to a rescue of a dinghy in the Channel. The Beach Response Group mobilised immediately.
By 4.30 it was obvious the lifeboat would be back soon and the team headed down to the Stade.
54 people including 11 under 18's were met with warmth and compassion after a grueling 13 hours at sea, many of which were in the fog.
Our team were able to identify unaccompanied minors and those who were unwell.
They were provided with warm dry clothing and hot food and drinks.
Children who arrived terrified left hugging and laughing.
Thank you to all the beach response team, thank you to the old town Buissiness who provide the hot food and drinks, thank you to the people who helped us with interpretation and thank you, all our supporters who having supported us so generously last year meant we have the resources to be able to carry out this vital front line work.
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

mudsticks

Squire
However, there is always hope....

View: https://www.facebook.com/959478177408136/posts/5027905250565388/?sfnsn=scwspmo

Today at just after 1.30pm the Hastings RNLI were tasked to a rescue of a dinghy in the Channel. The Beach Response Group mobilised immediately.
By 4.30 it was obvious the lifeboat would be back soon and the team headed down to the Stade.
54 people including 11 under 18's were met with warmth and compassion after a grueling 13 hours at sea, many of which were in the fog.
Our team were able to identify unaccompanied minors and those who were unwell.
They were provided with warm dry clothing and hot food and drinks.
Children who arrived terrified left hugging and laughing.
Thank you to all the beach response team, thank you to the old town Buissiness who provide the hot food and drinks, thank you to the people who helped us with interpretation and thank you, all our supporters who having supported us so generously last year meant we have the resources to be able to carry out this vital front line work.
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Humans being humane to other humans 🙏🏼💜💚❤️

mudsticks

Squire
If your skin isn’t pale you need to be filthy rich to be welcomed here.

View: https://twitter.com/channel4news/status/1509208629043466247?s=21&t=belb7EF50WR7BaRVeuReXg

Who is this 'we' he speaks of ?
What an arrogant man.

Isn't there something in fact unlawful in our attempting to criminalising refugees / asylum seekers?

I thought UK had signed up to various conventions on refugees, can we just overturn those without consequences.?

Doesn't that mean we lose all credibility or trust in terms of ongoing international relations??*

https://www.unhcr.org/uk/uk-immigration-and-asylum-plans-some-questions-answered-by-unhcr.html

*I know stable doors bolted horses etc etc.. :sad:

Last edited:

PaulB

Well we've had first hand evidence of the current “overwhelmingly generous” way our so-called 'government' has been treating the desperate war-torn Ukrainians frantically trying to find a way to safety.

Amidst much fanfare, the Home for Ukraine scheme was launched and over 100,000 British people, including and me and my wife signed up for it straight away. Since then, we've had ZERO help from them at all, quite the opposite in fact; we've had nothing but red tape and cripplingly slow progress . This is one of those things the ordinary citizen will have to do on their own while the government waits in the wings to come in and take the credit.

It’s obvious that the British refugee scheme for Ukrainians is designed to keep them out regardless of what were being told. Refugees arriving at Warsaw central station have reported to be baffled and frustrated by the UK government’s rules requiring them to find a sponsor in Britain before they could apply for a visa, which could take weeks to be processed. None said they knew anyone in the UK who could sponsor them even though there are at least 100,000 British families only too willing to give them a home safe from the war zone. What the refugees do once they're in Poland is to sign up to go to other countries because they are so much easier to get to. It appears that the the bottleneck is in the visa system and the matching of refugees with hosts because we’ve had zero help with our so-called ‘generous’ government.

The logical thing to do would be to get them to the UK and do any checks here. One person involved in trying to bring refugees to the ‘UK from the displaced people camp in Poland sad “I don’t know why we can’t bring them in on a tourist visa, The Spanish are scooping them up and worrying about the paperwork later. We don’t seem to be doing that. It’s ridiculous when there’s a home waiting.”

A Ukrainian woman, Vinohradova, said “I think the UK is ensuring that all the Ukrainians don’t come.” Even those like Vinohradova who have been lucky enough to have found a British sponsor will probably have to wait weeks while their visa is processed. The British government stands apart from its European neighbours, which are all offering Ukrainian refugees visa-free travel.

Under the UK’s Home for Ukraine scheme, where strangers act as hosts, but have not yet been approved. Only 1,000 of the 25,000 completed applications have been approved so far.

Meanwhile, Boris Johnson said Britain had been “overwhelmingly generous”. The prime minister added: “I think we can be incredibly proud of what the UK is doing.” No Mr. Johnson, I think we can be deeply ashamed of what the UK is doing – or better still – what the UK is failing to do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom