Voluntary behaviour code?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

I am not sure about the last bit, there does not appear have been enough self-discipline available, thus far.

I'm assuming he means 'ignore ' anyone who disagrees with your opinion then you'll only ever see responses you like, going by his advice to others.

mjr

I don't know whether others feel the same, but I'm getting a little fed up with some of the behaviour in here.
Personally I'd prefer it if we could stop the swearing and ad-hominem attacks, in favour of discussing things.
We need to have people who disagree and who have different points of view, but can we try to debate rather than harass?

My suggested behaviour standards:
  • If you disagree with an argument, post a counter argument. Both points of view should be considered but equally both proponents of the point of view should be able to back it up with data / research etc. Argue the points not the person.
  • Don't resort to lazy ad-hominem (personal) attacks. There is no need.
  • Avoid swearing. It isn't big and it isn't clever.
  • Don't be misogynist, sexist, homophobic etc
  • Listen to the people you are debating with and answer the points they make.
  • If you don't have a point of view or don't like a particular topic - don't contribute to it. It's OK to walk away and talk about something else.
  • If someone can't abide by the above - don't respond to them unless it is to help (politely). Ignore or mute them.
There are always going to be contentious topics on here, but let's try to be a bit more civil, Please?
I have a five word reply that I think breaks every one of those rules, but I'm too reserved to actually post it.

There is no chance of the troublemakers agreeing to that code and both libertarians and progressives on here lack the backbone to make them, so this is only a beautiful waste of electrons, isn't it?

Bazzer

I'm assuming he means 'ignore ' anyone who disagrees with your opinion then you'll only ever see responses you like, going by his advice to others.
I would assume he means an ignore because of bile being spewed, rather than an ignore because of a disagreement of an opinion.
I appreciate disagreements can become heated, but too frequently in response to particular posters, or particular topics, the bile is the default response.

D

Deleted member 28

I would assume he means an ignore because of bile being spewed, rather than an ignore because of a disagreement of an opinion.
I appreciate disagreements can become heated, but too frequently in response to particular posters, or particular topics, the bile is the default response.

If you say so.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
The only issue that we have at the moment is easily rectified.

It isn't really the only issue, is it? Arguably a bigger problem is that it's a ghetto, a wizened rump of the various iterations of P&L over the road. There are people on here worth reading, but not enough pace or fizz about the place to be much more than a sort of graveyard where those of us who miss sparring or shooting the breeze at will with other cyclists go for reasons of emotional attachment. The people who were kicked off or left are still gone, and the place has no means of attracting new blood. It's a dead-end. By design.

classic33

The problem with the previous offshoot, Talk247, was that two posters appeared to do their best to close the site from the moment they joined. A similar situation has now arisen here. With a possible second poster now joining in the abuse.

How does anyone prevent the situation getting worse, without getting this site closed. If it were set up to fail, then it's been proved right. Is it not possible for the majority of posters on here to point out that there are posts being made that make Talk247 seem advanced in comparison. True there are no moderators on here, something which one person seems to revel in. Why not a mass ignore of the poster, to show that what he's posting isn't acceptable. Someone with no audience to play to, will soon lose interest.

And just in case he does read this, he is the only one linking both sites together. Something is said here that he doesn't like, he takes it back to the main site where the argument continues.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
The problem with the previous offshoot, Talk247, was that two posters appeared to do their best to close the site from the moment they joined. A similar situation has now arisen here. With a possible second poster now joining in the abuse.

How does anyone prevent the situation getting worse, without getting this site closed. If it were set up to fail, then it's been proved right. Is it not possible for the majority of posters on here to point out that there are posts being made that make Talk247 seem advanced in comparison. True there are no moderators on here, something which one person seems to revel in. Why not a mass ignore of the poster, to show that what he's posting isn't acceptable. Someone with no audience to play to, will soon lose interest.

And just in case he does read this, he is the only one linking both sites together. Something is said here that he doesn't like, he takes it back to the main site where the argument continues.

What a total load of bollocks…….you want posters to agree to some sort of behaviour code and then you post the biggest pile of bollocks on the internet.

classic33

What a total load of bollocks…….
Were you on Talk247? I don't recall seeing anything you posted.

If you check some of the posts from a year ago, you'll see that the site rules were up to the people on here to come up with and apply. Its worth a read.

If the majority agree, then that'll be you having to abide by the site rules, as agreed by the site users. You are just two posters on here, outnumbered by the majority.

So much for being put on ignore by yourself.

classic33

What a total load of bollocks…….you want posters to agree to some sort of behaviour code and then you post the biggest pile of bollocks on the internet.
Not just me though.
And I'm replying to your edited post, which proves my point.

jowwy

Were you on Talk247? I don't recall seeing anything you posted.

If you check some of the posts from a year ago, you'll see that the site rules were up to the people on here to come up with and apply. Its worth a read.

If the majority agree, then that'll be you having to abide by the site rules, as agreed by the site users. You are just two posters on here, outnumbered by the majority.

So much for being put on ignore by yourself.

Like i said, try enforcing the rules and see what happens…..you already have members trying to change them already.

jowwy

I actually find it quite funny that people are still blaming me and ive hardly posted lately……..just goes to show there are more people causing issues than the welsh guy with 3 accounts, 4 IP address and some members who think they know everything.

i mean salty seadog posted that many times that @fynix was me, that even i had to check twice. Then you got classic33 trolling peoples posts on the main site and bringing the issues here, while at cookiemonster still thinks he lives in the UK and moans about everything that doesnt actually effect him.

and i posted all that without any swearing or abuse….go figure

Top Bottom