Voluntary behaviour code?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
I don't know whether others feel the same, but I'm getting a little fed up with some of the behaviour in here.
Personally I'd prefer it if we could stop the swearing and ad-hominem attacks, in favour of discussing things.
We need to have people who disagree and who have different points of view, but can we try to debate rather than harass?

My suggested behaviour standards:
  • If you disagree with an argument, post a counter argument. Both points of view should be considered but equally both proponents of the point of view should be able to back it up with data / research etc. Argue the points not the person.
  • Don't resort to lazy ad-hominem (personal) attacks. There is no need.
  • Avoid swearing. It isn't big and it isn't clever.
  • Don't be misogynist, sexist, homophobic etc
  • Listen to the people you are debating with and answer the points they make.
  • If you don't have a point of view or don't like a particular topic - don't contribute to it. It's OK to walk away and talk about something else.
  • If someone can't abide by the above - don't respond to them unless it is to help (politely). Ignore or mute them.
There are always going to be contentious topics on here, but let's try to be a bit more civil, Please?

Amen to all of that.

D

Deleted member 28

As I see it this a mainly left wing, anti monarchy, anti Brexit, Tory hating forum and anyone who isn't the same is called thick, stupid or racist.

No alternative opinions are sought at all and everyone knows it because the advice given many times is "put them on ignore ", that way you can post your endless links to the Gaurdian or Twitter (FFS get a life) without fear of contradiction.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I like to think we're all intelligent adults which means we're all aware of how we should behave in polite conversation. This makes the idea of any code of conduct somewhat moot as people should be following it anyway and those who don't are obviously doing it as a conscious choice, for whatever reason. You can draw your own inferences from that.

Regarding swearing, I don't think it necessary to entirely abstain, it's powerful language and has its place, although we have a swear filter and I do think that attempts to deliberately bypass it run the risk of making one look like a bit of a daffodil.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I like to think we're all intelligent adults which means we're all aware of how we should behave in polite conversation. This makes the idea of any code of conduct somewhat moot as people should be following it anyway and those who don't are obviously doing it as a conscious choice, for whatever reason. You can draw your own inferences from that.

Regarding swearing, I don't think it necessary to entirely abstain, it's powerful language and has its place, although we have a swear filter and I do think that attempts to deliberately bypass it run the risk of making one look like a bit of a daffodil.

As a none swearing poster, I have just learned that you can bypass the filter! At least give me a chance to use my new found "skill". ;)

Most of the posters here engage well with good-humour and pretty-much abide by the above...as in all things it's the few that screws-it up for the rest....

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
I'm OK with all of that apart from the swearing. Invective & profanity are a part of normal informal dialogue & repartee and imposing restrictions on expression is always counterproductive. Also I often find it hilarious because I'm a deeply puerile cünt.

However I do think attempting to refrain from deploying it as personal abuse would be a very good idea, although it is sometimes challenging in this environment.

As I see it this a mainly left wing, anti monarchy, anti Brexit, Tory hating forum and anyone who isn't the same is called thick, stupid or racist.

No alternative opinions are sought at all and everyone knows it because the advice given many times is "put them on ignore ", that way you can post your endless links to the Gaurdian or Twitter (FFS get a life) without fear of contradiction.

You know I love you like a brother - but you know as well as I do that's not right. Yes I agree it can seem like a lefty/woke/pro-EU/republican echo-chamber sometimes, but people from the 'other side' (definitely including you) don't tend to offer actual explanations of the positives of their positions.

Discussions & arguments should be a 2-way street and I strongly doubt I'm the only lefty bedwetter on here who would welcome a proper discussion rather than just yelling & put-downs.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
To be fair - I was more thinking of swearing in the context of people just swearing at one another.
Personally I prefer not to - but each to his or her own :-)

theclaud

Reading around the chip
I don't know whether others feel the same, but I'm getting a little fed up with some of the behaviour in here.
Personally I'd prefer it if we could stop the swearing and ad-hominem attacks, in favour of discussing things.
We need to have people who disagree and who have different points of view, but can we try to debate rather than harass?

My suggested behaviour standards:
  • If you disagree with an argument, post a counter argument. Both points of view should be considered but equally both proponents of the point of view should be able to back it up with data / research etc. Argue the points not the person.
  • Don't resort to lazy ad-hominem (personal) attacks. There is no need.
  • Avoid swearing. It isn't big and it isn't clever.
  • Don't be misogynist, sexist, homophobic etc
  • Listen to the people you are debating with and answer the points they make.
  • If you don't have a point of view or don't like a particular topic - don't contribute to it. It's OK to walk away and talk about something else.
  • If someone can't abide by the above - don't respond to them unless it is to help (politely). Ignore or mute them.
There are always going to be contentious topics on here, but let's try to be a bit more civil, Please?

I would 'like' this, as I think it's well-intentioned and most of the things in the list are not unreasonable to ask (apart from the fucking swearing, obvs). However I'm amazed at the faith people are prepared to invest in things that were attempted hundreds of times over the road and won't work. There's not really any substitute for site owners taking responsibility for the kind of site they say they want, and acting in good faith to try and bring it about. It tells you something about how bad the site admin and moderation over there has become (I don't include all the staff in that) of late that this little ghetto has opted for zero moderation rather than more of the same, and doomed itself to put up with jowwy abusing everyone with impunity rather than submit to the the worst kind of cops running the show. I suppose it's something that this place hasn't yet plumbed the depths of the previous offshoot, but I daresay it's doomed in the longer term.

D

Deleted member 49

It would be far easier to show some self restraint...if you don't like somebody or find them offensive block,don't answer,ignore.Personally speaking I've not found too much offensive,more childish.
You can write all the rules you want but with no moderation its not going to happen.

I would 'like' this, as I think it's well-intentioned and most of the things in the list are not unreasonable to ask (apart from the fucking swearing, obvs). However I'm amazed at the faith people are prepared to invest in things that were attempted hundreds of times over the road and won't work. There's not really any substitute for site owners taking responsibility for the kind of site they say they want, and acting in good faith to try and bring it about. It tells you something about how bad the site admin and moderation over there has become (I don't include all the staff in that) of late that this little ghetto has opted for zero moderation rather than more of the same, and doomed itself to put up with jowwy abusing everyone with impunity rather than submit to the the worst kind of cops running the show. I suppose it's something that this place hasn't yet plumbed the depths of the previous offshoot, but I daresay it's doomed in the longer term.

I didn't think this place had any option other than be unmoderated, that was part of the deal....
The only issue that we have at the moment is easily rectified.

Last edited:
Top Bottom