War with Russia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Are we still doing a facile comparison invoking good and evil, right and wrong?

US and China are both playing the same game. Both want influence, access to markets, access to resources and energy. Both have their respective areas of influence, with us firmly in that of the US. We do as we are told.

The difference here is that the US is acknowledging that it cannot restrain China in the way that it once could. China has grown rich on being the factory for the world, banked it's profits on infrastructure, investment and military growth. It's short on carriers, meaning that it can't project it's power in the way that US battlegroups still can, but it outnumbers the US navy overall which means it can start to push the yanks out of the eastern side of the Pacific. Crunch time will come for Taiwan, and my guess would be sooner rather than later.

Maybe not soon but eventually crunch time will come. USA can’t do much and an ex CIA agent has said they can only hope China has an economic collapse but I can’t see that happening.

ebikeerwidnes

Look like there has been an 'incident' between a US Drone - a Global Hawk - flying over the Black Sea and 2 Russian jets
As a result the drone has crashed
US view is that they were manoeuvring very close to it in an unsafe manner and dumping fuel onto it
Eventually one made contact with the propeller of the drone and caused it to crash - or possibly made it uncontrollable and the operators were forced to crash it into the sea for safety

Russia seems to be saying it was performing sharp manoeuvrers and crashed - no missiles or guns were fired and both aircraft returned to base with no damage

As there things have been buzzing around the middle of the Black Sea for months I can see Russia being fed up with them being there - but this is a significant escalation

• Sad
Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 121

Look like there has been an 'incident' between a US Drone - a Global Hawk - flying over the Black Sea and 2 Russian jets
As a result the drone has crashed
US view is that they were manoeuvring very close to it in an unsafe manner and dumping fuel onto it
Eventually one made contact with the propeller of the drone and caused it to crash - or possibly made it uncontrollable and the operators were forced to crash it into the sea for safety

Russia seems to be saying it was performing sharp manoeuvrers and crashed - no missiles or guns were fired and both aircraft returned to base with no damage

As there things have been buzzing around the middle of the Black Sea for months I can see Russia being fed up with them being there - but this is a significant escalation

There are a lot of inconsistencies in the reporting which is the way it is designed to be so that it would support said propaganda. For example, if it was a "global hawk" drone, that doesn't even have a propeller...

D

Deleted member 121

It seems more likely that it was an MQ-9 "reaper" drone. It would be crazy to strike the propeller on purpose which would risk both air frames. A guess from me would be that either they were trying to tip the wings, not unlike what the RAF did to the to the V1- flying bombs in WW2 to test its reaction maybe or the drone took evasive manoeuvres and hit the Su-27 who were perhaps flying too close and ill prepared for such a manoeuvre. Of course, the Russians claim no damage at all to their planes...

The first thing that came to mind was the 1984 Soviet submarine that lost track of USS Kitty Hawk it was shadowing, a US aircraft carrier, only to go to periscope depth and see Kitty Hawk steaming right at the Soviet Sub. It couldn't submerge in time and was subsequently rammed and was forced to surface with damage and Kitty Hawk was left with a hole in its bow which leaked aviation fuel into the sea. It seems however, the Soviets accepted responsibility and the Sub captain suspended from operations at sea although the Captain didn't accept this stating “Everybody was lucky. We didn’t sink, no one got burned. We even managed to kick out the ‘enemy’ for a long time”.

ebikeerwidnes

There are a lot of inconsistencies in the reporting which is the way it is designed to be so that it would support said propaganda. For example, if it was a "global hawk" drone, that doesn't even have a propeller...

Good point - not sure if I read the plane type or just assumed it as there have been a lot days with one flying around in the area souther of Crimea

I would agree that you cannot hit the prop of an aircraft that doesn;t have one !!

If it was something else - then I have not seen them appear on the FLight Radar website - or some others that spot stuff not seen elsewhere - but then they are spy planes so that may not be surprising!

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It seems more likely that it was an MQ-9 "reaper" drone. It would be crazy to strike the propeller on purpose which would risk both air frames. A guess from me would be that either they were trying to tip the wings, not unlike what the RAF did to the to the V1- flying bombs in WW2 to test its reaction maybe or the drone took evasive manoeuvres and hit the Su-27 who were perhaps flying too close and ill prepared for such a manoeuvre. Of course, the Russians claim no damage at all to their planes...

The first thing that came to mind was the 1984 Soviet submarine that lost track of USS Kitty Hawk it was shadowing, a US aircraft carrier, only to go to periscope depth and see Kitty Hawk steaming right at the Soviet Sub. It couldn't submerge in time and was subsequently rammed and was forced to surface with damage and Kitty Hawk was left with a hole in its bow which leaked aviation fuel into the sea. It seems however, the Soviets accepted responsibility and the Sub captain suspended from operations at sea although the Captain didn't accept this stating “Everybody was lucky. We didn’t sink, no one got burned. We even managed to kick out the ‘enemy’ for a long time”.

BBC reported it as that type

D

Deleted member 49

View: https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1635304431620345858?t=YJwjE6U4AGzOpUs33uVlwg&s=19

Whats breaking news about this ? The US seem to be doing a lot more threatening of China than the other way round though.
China's Prime Minister Li Qiang...
"China and the United States can and must cooperate. And there are a lot that the two countries can achieve by working together! Encirclement and supression is in no-one's interest."

That's not the full story, yes without a doubt the US is by far the most vocal in terms off warning China or other countries, but China has been caught more than once trying to control things that should be outside of their control. For example trying to watch/harras/etc/ former Chinese diplomats/politicians etc. that do not live in their country anymore.
In a country like the US that's reason for them to respond, long before the military threats they tried cutting Chinese companies out like for example ZTE and Huawei, also not without reason, south African countries who received billions of ''help'' from China have been the hub of massive dataflows between Chinese company made devices and China.
Partly the same can be said about google or American companies but there is an very big difference, legally Chinese companies are virtually owned by the state, and China is using the information actively to suppress it's citizens. (we have had i believe 2 different topics about China to go in debts about this.)
One of the few things Trump was right about was trying to replace China's role as mass manufacturing by India(which isn't ideal by any mean but at least isn't a communistic tolitarian state.)

There are significant differences. In the case of China/Taiwan there are two governments, both of which claim to represent the whole territory including Taiwan. But also, Taiwan has many factories on the mainland and is a major investor in the PRC.
Also economically like i pointed out before, China will bark but not bite, because they known it will harm their interest more then it helps them. The current sanction clearly affect Russia, but they will absolutely destroy China so they will not risk that, you can also see that on their response to Russia.

There are differences, there are always differences. Russia/Ukraine is not China/Taiwan but both conflicts involve disputed territory/sovereignty and powerful vs weaker neighbours.
Not really, the Ukraine conflict started with Russia bullying Ukraine and stealing territory, which boils down to Putin not accepting the end of the sovjet union and the west and the same ''strong US'' laclustre response to that, the us and the west only came involved last year after against all odds the Ukrainians showed the Russians arent as strong as before feb 2022 often assumed and claimed by Russia.

I wonder why America fears China so much...
View attachment 3322
That is just one graph, if that would have said anything, the yen would have replaced the dollar long time ago. However it doesn't say anything as there are many any other factors involved. China's debt position for example, and yes the US also has a big pile of debts but somehow financial annalist consider the US capacity to pay back bigger then China's.
Economy is always about the larger picture not one singled out graph, so in effect, you really said nothing.
Good point - not sure if I read the plane type or just assumed it as there have been a lot days with one flying around in the area souther of Crimea

I would agree that you cannot hit the prop of an aircraft that doesn;t have one !!

If it was something else - then I have not seen them appear on the FLight Radar website - or some others that spot stuff not seen elsewhere - but then they are spy planes so that may not be surprising!
Flight radar only shows what is available on commercial Radar's regardless of the real drone attacked and if it even happened at all it's fits the ammo of Russia, right before the Ukraine war they fired shots at a Nato ship for in their view sailing in Crimea's waters

And a country where they have an unified messaging app to track, arrest and monitor people is so much better right? Who needs freedom totalirians states are gonna save the world?

the last two sentences are the most interesting: ''Keating spent 13 years on the board of the China Development Bank, including 10 as chairman, a role he left five years ago.
Keating said he received a $5,000 honorarium for the board role and has “no commercial interests in China whatsoever”.

So Mr. Keating is an China fan, nothing wrong with that but then a article as the one above has not that much value.

Top Bottom