War with Russia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Guru
There are significant differences. In the case of China/Taiwan there are two governments, both of which claim to represent the whole territory including Taiwan. But also, Taiwan has many factories on the mainland and is a major investor in the PRC.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
There are significant differences. In the case of China/Taiwan there are two governments, both of which claim to represent the whole territory including Taiwan. But also, Taiwan has many factories on the mainland and is a major investor in the PRC.

There are differences, there are always differences. Russia/Ukraine is not China/Taiwan but both conflicts involve disputed territory/sovereignty and powerful vs weaker neighbours.

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 49

There are differences, there are always differences. Russia/Ukraine is not China/Taiwan but both conflicts involve disputed territory/sovereignty and powerful vs weaker neighbours.
Peak hypocrisy from America....remind me who's the aggressor again.Imagine if it was China saying this ?
Screenshot_20230313-171508-866.png

D

Deleted member 49

Israel/Palestine ?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
D

Deleted member 49

Yes.

It is about disputed territories, powerful vs weak and nuclear powers.

But nowhere near the ramifications for nuclear war that we are talking about with Russia and China.
That's good....and Xi to speak with Zelensky, and meet next week with Putin.
Be somewhat ironic if China can negotiate some sort of peace.The Saudi Iran deal brokered by China could be something for America to reflect on.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chinas-xi-to-speak-with-zelensky-meet-next-week-with-putin-f34be6be

multitool

Shaman
Peak hypocrisy from America....remind me who's the aggressor again.Imagine if it was China saying this ?

Are we still doing a facile comparison invoking good and evil, right and wrong?

US and China are both playing the same game. Both want influence, access to markets, access to resources and energy. Both have their respective areas of influence, with us firmly in that of the US. We do as we are told.

The difference here is that the US is acknowledging that it cannot restrain China in the way that it once could. China has grown rich on being the factory for the world, banked it's profits on infrastructure, investment and military growth. It's short on carriers, meaning that it can't project it's power in the way that US battlegroups still can, but it outnumbers the US navy overall which means it can start to push the yanks out of the eastern side of the Pacific. Crunch time will come for Taiwan, and my guess would be sooner rather than later.

D

Deleted member 49

Are we still doing a facile comparison invoking good and evil, right and wrong?

US and China are both playing the same game. Both want influence, access to markets, access to resources and energy. Both have their respective areas of influence, with us firmly in that of the US. We do as we are told.

The difference here is that the US is acknowledging that it cannot restrain China in the way that it once could. China has grown rich on being the factory for the world, banked it's profits on infrastructure, investment and military growth. It's short on carriers, meaning that it can't project it's power in the way that US battlegroups still can, but it outnumbers the US navy overall which means it can start to push the yanks out of the eastern side of the Pacific. Crunch time will come for Taiwan, and my guess would be sooner rather than later.
Who said it's about good and evil,right and wrong.Ive seen a lot more aggression coming from America against China,actually Australia aren't doing to bad there either.
Screenshot_20230313-181000-578.png

Could you imagine if this was front page of China Daily ? I'm against war at all costs.

multitool

Shaman
Newspaper articles or physical aggression? Clearly there has been none of the latter, and a comparison of newspaper headlines in the respective countries would be skewed by the fact that China's newspapers are not operating under the same conditions as the Western media.

Look, it's obvious what is happening. US hegemony is not what it was 30 years ago in the face of a resurgent China. Both Russia and China share a view that they no longer accept a world in which the United States, NATO or the West is able to dictate what the security arrangements of the world should be, but the dynamic is fraught as equally Russia does not want to become a Chinese satellite. It has very little except natural resources, which China needs, but it does not want to become the Saudi to China's US. It has its own imperial ambitions, albeit somewhat more fanciful. It is dependent on China, given western sanctions.

This is China and US's game to play, with Russia as a pawn. No reason for China to do anything except watch Russia weaken, and US spend it's money on a proxy war.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 121

Even if we take Rishi's China threat at face value along with his increase of £5bn to the defence budget which is a real term cut thanks to inflation, what he's essentially saying is, "China is threatening to create a world defined by danger and so today, i announce a cut in our defence spending."

I would say why doesn't Rishi just shut his mouth but then the Chinese need to get their gags from somewhere....

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I'm against war at all costs.

I don't believe any sane person is for war, but "at all costs" covers a huge range of possibilities.

The costs would need to be known or defined before it makes sense.

And, like it or not, the realistic threat of damaging retaliation is a deterrent.

D

Deleted member 49

I don't believe any sane person is for war, but "at all costs" covers a huge range of possibilities.

The costs would need to be known or defined before it makes sense.

And, like it or not, the realistic threat of damaging retaliation is a deterrent.
Was Bush and Blair sane ? We went to war in Iraq on lies and propaganda.

Top Bottom