We haven't seen anything yet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No-one is suggesting that you combine the incomes in this proposal though are they? So that, at best, is a stupid point to make.

I'm not clear what is actually proposed tax wise.

IIRC the historical position was that, by default, married couples were taxed jointly. They'd get a Married Couples Allowance and further Allowances for kids. If the woman was a 'housewife' it worked OK.

My parents both worked and had the opportunity to choose to be taxed separately. They took that.

I listened to a talk once by a cardiologist who said he could probably teach a reasonably bright and manually competent person how to do heart surgery in around 6 weeks, as it is essentially plumbing and there are relatively few options once you are in there.

Knowing which option to take, and when to switch options was something he said he was still learning after 20 years.

It is similarly said that orthopedic surgeons would otherwise have been carpenters.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I'm not clear what is actually proposed tax wise.
I get that, no-one is yet. But if as suggested below......
restoring the link between tax and household income so a married woman’s income could be seen as part of her husband’s.
it may offer families the chance to do as your parents did which for some set-ups would actually be a good thing, increasing their tax free allowance and bolstering their family finances, and not....
This paragraph is just off the wall in its insanity -
as @cookiemonster suggests?

Writing something off as 'insanity', before it is even published and understood is, well, insanity.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
It is similarly said that orthopedic surgeons would otherwise have been carpenters.

Definitely, I have been in on an operation where a broken hip being fixed by plugging the gap with bone harvested from the femur.

Holy Fucking Shit :ohmy:

I don't know if any of you have had an arthroscopy? Well, just don't Google before the operation!

Orthopaedic surgery is definitely not brain surgery!

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Also that there is more "guesswork" that you might think as to how a surgery is going to affect the patient...
Unless of course they avoid that by letting the patient play the violin all the way through the operation to ensure they do not screw up that part of the brain while removing the tumour 🧠

Bazzer

I get that, no-one is yet. But if as suggested below......

it may offer families the chance to do as your parents did which for some set-ups would actually be a good thing, increasing their tax free allowance and bolstering their family finances, and not....

as @cookiemonster suggests?

Writing something off as 'insanity', before it is even published and understood is, well, insanity.
IIRC, in the days when a wife's income was considered to be assessable on her husband, you had three other alternatives. Election for separate assessment, which in effect meant the total tax bill was allocated in proportion to income. For a wife's earnings election to be made. Or both separate assessment and wife's earnings election. But when the wife's earnings election was made, the married couples allowance was withdrawn.
It strikes me that the proposal is not to bolster family finances, but to revert spouses back to being considered as less financially independent.

stephec

Regular
I would have thought being a Taxi Driver was much more complicated? You need to be able to text on your mobile, whilst driving too. Plus, you have to at least try to stay in your lane, an airline pilot has the whole sky to use. ;)

Don't forget that you'd need to have opinions on everything, and it's essential that you share them as well.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Now Brain Surgery on the other hand - completely different kettle of fish. I was a medical PA to a Consultant Neurosurgeon for 6 months. I learned that if you have brain surgery and make a really quick recovery after the operation, chatty, no loss of function etc, there is a strong chance that you won't last 24 hours. Also that there is more "guesswork" that you might think as to how a surgery is going to affect the patient...

Turns out brains are quite complex... although...

View: https://youtu.be/THNPmhBl-8I

I am guessing you did read the bit about “I don’t want to know the gory details” ;)

PK99

Regular
Slash and burn policies favoured by yet another, mysteriously funded, think tank.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-burn-ideas-that-could-be-blueprint-for-truss

This paragraph is just off the wall in its insanity -

Other ideas include remote learning so parents can pick the best teachers, amending the Equalities Act so white working-class boys are better protected, and restoring the link between tax and household income so a married woman’s income could be seen as part of her husband’s.

The highlighted part appears to be Guardianesque clickbait.

The document it refers to is:
https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...91a7d2981/1631644101107/30+ideas+for+2030.pdf

The section it refers to is Page 7 "RESTORE THE LINK BETWEEN TAX AND HOUSEHOLD INCOME"

It states correctly:
" Under the previous system that had existed for nearly a couple of hundred years, a married woman’s income had been seen as a part of her husband’s."

It does not use the phrase:
"so a married woman’s income could be seen as part of her husband’s."

It does argue that there is merit in assessing tax on household income rather than individuals.

The first part is also a Guardianesque clickbait distortion - see p14 for the real story

Ian H

Guru
Heart surgery could be a goer if you only have 6 weeks spare.
I reckon the result would be 'operation successful, patient died'.

The son of a friend is training to be a pilot (he flew his first plane at 16). He's just passed the meteorology exam at the second attempt. It gets more complicated from there.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I reckon the result would be 'operation successful, patient died'.

The son of a friend is training to be a pilot (he flew his first plane at 16). He's just passed the meteorology exam at the second attempt. It gets more complicated from there.

In my experience, cloud cover and rain is rarely an issue in modern operating theatres.

Ian H

Guru
In my experience, cloud cover and rain is rarely an issue in modern operating theatres.

Hmm, along the lines of extreme ironing, you could have extreme heart surgery - in a plane, underwater, up a mountain on skis.

But I'm not aware that our young trainee pilot is planning surgery as a sideline.

Top Bottom