What’s your pension age?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
If she missed out by only 7 weeks, on being eligible for state pension at 60, then, wouldn't she have been eligible at some age between age 60 and 66?. If I recall, "retirement age" for women, increased in stages, from 60 to 65, between 2010 and 2018. It is now, increasing in stages (as in men's), heading for 68 at present.

its probably because its bullshit and never happened......with @PaulB its always someone else and never him or his family. the guy is full of the proverbial. He also loves teaching his grandkids abusive chants at liverpool games.

Ian H

Guru
My wife's sister missed out on being able to retire at 60 by the seven weeks her birth date would have saved her the seven years she's currently having to find her way through. We know this because she's told us about 478 times. But it makes me laugh since nobody can stand her and she's a lazy mare so, swings and roundabouts and all that.

I have a friend who is in a similar position. She is, understandably, more than a little miffed about this. It's an unjustifiably huge change for women's entitlement (not to mention the other issues around lower earnings and childcare).

its probably because its bullshit and never happened......with @PaulB its always someone else and never him or his family. the guy is full of the proverbial. He also loves teaching his grandkids abusive chants at liverpool games.

The timetable for phasing the increase in State Pension age is here:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...attachment_data/file/310231/spa-timetable.pdf

The original change was legislated in 1995 and it can arguably be said 'victims' had sufficient notice. However those born between 1950 and April 53 suffered some detriment, for those born during 1953 the detriment was accelerated. Later changes, moving to 66, gave people less chance to adapt.

jowwy

https://assets.publishing.service.g...attachment_data/file/310231/spa-timetable.pdf

The original change was legislated in 1995 and it can arguably be said 'victims' had sufficient notice. However those born between 1950 and April 53 suffered some detriment, for those born during 1953 the detriment was accelerated. Later changes, moving to 66, gave people less chance to adapt.

where did i ask for that or even question it???

PaulB

You said it was bullshine and never happened.

I do benefits for a living and am quite certain that what @PaulB asserted is perfectly possible.

I can assure you I wouldn't have bothered making stuff up for the sake of it and I can only guess who the PNG is casting nasturtiums. I don't bother giving that embarrassment's vapid 'opinions' any validity.

Reactions: C R

jowwy

I can assure you I wouldn't have bothered making stuff up for the sake of it and I can only guess who the PNG is casting nasturtiums. I don't bother giving that embarrassment's vapid 'opinions' any validity.

only one embarrassment here pal and that's you.....you full of shot and everyone knows it

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Interesting.

I can well understand women being peeved by these changes, but, the worst case I can see is shift of 6 years, for those born in 1954, who may have originally expected to retire in 2014 (under the original 60 years of age rules), but, were then shifted to retirement in 2020, by the 2011 act. There may be worse cases, if we take into account those affected by the 2014 act, ie increasing state pension age to 67 (for men and women), I have not ploughed through that, but, they have had approximately 19 years notice that state pension age was changing.

Mr Celine

My wife's sister missed out on being able to retire at 60 by the seven weeks her birth date would have saved her the seven years she's currently having to find her way through. We know this because she's told us about 478 times. But it makes me laugh since nobody can stand her and she's a lazy mare so, swings and roundabouts and all that.

Something's not right there.

The youngest women who could get their state pension at 60 were born on 05/04/50. If she missed that by seven weeks, DOB 24/05/50, she could have got her state pension on 06/07/10.

That's six weeks later, not seven years.

The youngest women who could get their state pension at 60 were born on 05/04/50. If she missed that by seven weeks, DOB 24/05/50, she could have got her state pension on 06/07/10.

The reference to 7 years suggests she's in the cohort where pension age is now 67.

So she's lost seven years but not in just one hit.

BoldonLad

The reference to 7 years suggests she's in the cohort where pension age is now 67.

So she's lost seven years but not in just one hit.

But, gained (along with others) the advantage of being entitled to the "latest" State Pension Rate, which is higher than the previous rate, in operation for the "retirement at 60, women, and 65, men" cohort.

However, IMHO, we have all been shafted by successive Governments with respect to State Pension Provision.

jowwy

i did say the guy was full of shoot......

Mr Celine

But, gained (along with others) the advantage of being entitled to the "latest" State Pension Rate, which is higher than the previous rate, in operation for the "retirement at 60, women, and 65, men" cohort.
It's only higher than the previous basic rate. There were add-ons that could boost the older state pension to well beyond what the new state pension is. (eg SERPS).

BoldonLad

It's only higher than the previous basic rate. There were add-ons that could boost the older state pension to well beyond what the new state pension is. (eg SERPS).

True, but, they are, as you say "add-ons" not everyone gets them, either because they were "contracted out", or, for some of the add-ons because their earnings were lower. Also, unless I am being robbed, the "add-ons" do not appear to increase annually with inflation, or, if they do, they do not increase at the same rate as the basic state pension, thus, causing erosion of their value.

As I said earlier, IMHO, we have all been shafted wrt to State Pension.

Top Bottom