When were you last inspired by a British politician?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
Pretty much no-one that supported the Holocaust is alive either.
But many who survived it or are children of survivors still are. It's still in living memory.

Does it still make sense to quote those atrocities when defining (or ranking) racism? I think racism actually happening here in 2023 is more important (and of course there is far too much of it, against many groups).
I agree, but the point of mentioning the holocaust is that is is a very strong example of racism against Jews and other groups. As Baddiel has pointed out elsewhere - he is an atheist, but if the Nazis were here now, they wouldn't ask whether he kept kosher before exporting him to the death camps.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
It's Rob Newman (Newton was the gravity guy)

LOL yes, I have no idea if that was an autocorrect or a brain malfunction. Anyway, he's been doing actual anti-racism in his work for years while Baddiel has been becoming increasingly boring with his competitive-oppression identity politics and highly selective anti-Semitism concerns.

I'm not sure I'd agree about his apology. It seemed sincere enough, and he looked vulnerable when having to account for himself to a calm, assured, articulate Lee, who was not seeking to put him through the wringer but was clearly not going to indulge him either. He admitted, to his credit, to fear and embarrassment. Yet he still managed to make it substantially about himself and his subsequent experiences of being targeted as a Jew, claiming that these helped him understand retrospectively what was wrong with what he and Skinner did to Lee. This is nonsense, in my view - the pleasure in that kind of racist bullying humour was always in the safety and complacency of being in the in-group - of picking an easy target in the knowledge that the same dynamic would play out in the audience and the crowds. It would be more honest just to admit it was cheap, lazy and racist, it worked out just fine for them at the time, and he never worried about what it meant for Lee , or for black footballers generally, until he had to, what with it being awkward for his transition from Lad Culture poster boy to self-appointed Celebrity Racism Authority.

David-Baddiel-and-Frank-Skinner-on-Loaded-cover-in-1996.jpg

Anyway I don't disagree with much of what he writes about anti-Semitism as racism, but if Baddiel wants to focus (as is his prerogative) on highlighting and unpicking the particular character of anti-Semitism (his whole thesis is that it is uniquely pernicious because it is not always understood as racism, and that as racism it should not need explication with reference to other forms of racism - he constantly berated Corbyn for invoking other kinds of racism when asked to talk about AS) then it seems to me to be fine if black activists, or others with reason to do so, choose to focus on anti-black racism. As Monkers has mentioned upthread, he seems to want it both ways.

There's a lot more to say but I'm boring myself with all this reflection on Baddiel.

Salty seadog

The more you think about it more come to light.
I'm going to stand back from being inspired by... For a moment.

Ken Clark, never really had a problem with him in my time.

A proper outsider, Michael Gove. Odious in some respects but does get stuck into his brief.

monkers

Guru
Actually, and this contraversial, I'm feeling inspired by Gordon Brown recently.

Yes I know that he was Chancellor to Blair during the invasion of Iraq. But my respect for him as a serious heavyweight politician is renewed.

In the Guardian today he is sticking up for us retaining our convention rights that this abusive government is so keen to deprive us of.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...hts-european-court-international-law#comments

Ian H

Guru

monkers

Guru
I am profoundly grateful for my life since retirement. I would be profoundly grateful to see British politicians talking about quality of life rather than productivity, profit and [spits] growth.

This ^^^^^^

... and somebody who can act like a stateman regardless of their characteristics, and have interest in actual nation-building - human interest and relationships before human activity that can only be invested in capitalism, and measured by the success of the already very wealthy.

When we live in a world where the assets of the ten richest people in the world are equal to the wealth of the poorest half we have to recognise that we've messed up. But this is celebrated as 'success'. We can bring an end to so many of the problems of the world just be repatriating sovereign money, yet we don't.

When Bin Laden called the west 'decadent' I believe he had that part right. To be clear that isn't the same as condoning any of the actions of him or his supporters before that accusation is made.

multitool

Shaman
Problem, as ever, is secession.

Harris is unpopular. Who else is there? Neophyte Pete Buttigieg? Or possibly Elizabeth Warren.

Top Bottom