When were you last inspired by a British politician?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stowie

Obviously in the rush to reduce public discourse to Pale Rider / Craig / Spen / Dutch Cyclist levels, and the glee people like this feel at having their hostility to Abbott validated, the point about GRT people is going to slide quietly into the background while Tory and Labour politicians compete to abuse their local Traveller populations for electoral gain. Edifying stuff.

What is truly bizarre about the letter is that Abbott chose three examples to contrast with her point and then used historical context which somehow seemed to forget that two of her three examples were subjected to the most horrific racist treatment - all carried out by a government on an industrial scale almost within living memory.

Although not really politically aligned with Abbott, I have a lot of respect for her and am horrified by the level of abuse and ridicule she endures, most of which is racist in nature. And, of course, the right will leap upon this with breath-taking hypocrisy. But she is a highly intelligent person - how did she think this wasn't going to end up here?

theclaud

Reading around the chip
What is truly bizarre about the letter is that Abbott chose three examples to contrast with her point and then used historical context which somehow seemed to forget that two of her three examples were subjected to the most horrific racist treatment - all carried out by a government on an industrial scale almost within living memory.

Although not really politically aligned with Abbott, I have a lot of respect for her and am horrified by the level of abuse and ridicule she endures, most of which is racist in nature. And, of course, the right will leap upon this with breath-taking hypocrisy. But she is a highly intelligent person - how did she think this wasn't going to end up here?

It does seem breathtakingly naïve, but then it's not the first time she's gifted the right some unnecessary ammunition with an occasional disastrous performance in a generally distinguished career. The apology is a bit weird - the purpose of drafting an email before sending it is to get it right, so it would make more sense if it had been fired off from the hip in irritation because she was annoyed by Owolade's framing of the stats. Anyway, disbelief aside, I do think it's important that we continue resisting the Right's attempt to construct a 'reverse racism' frame - the appropriation of progressive concepts for reactionary ends is something that we didn't take seriously enough until it was almost too late, in my view, and now here we are - with the mainstream white media getting traction claiming black anti-racists are The Real Racists. Responding to what someone has written is one thing - policing it is quite another. Starmer's obviously going to use this to try and kick Abbott out of the party, and anyone who cares about racism or justice should stand by her in spite of how they feel about the email.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
There is more genetic diversity within the continent of Africa than in the rest of the world combined.

That’s interesting. I read that the DNA difference between individuals (even of different races/ethnicities) was very small, less than 6% if my memory is correct.

spen666

It does seem breathtakingly naïve, but then it's not the first time she's gifted the right some unnecessary ammunition with an occasional disastrous performance in a generally distinguished career. The apology is a bit weird - the purpose of drafting an email before sending it is to get it right, so it would make more sense if it had been fired off from the hip in irritation because she was annoyed by Owolade's framing of the stats. Anyway, disbelief aside, I do think it's important that we continue resisting the Right's attempt to construct a 'reverse racism' frame - the appropriation of progressive concepts for reactionary ends is something that we didn't take seriously enough until it was almost too late, in my view, and now here we are - with the mainstream white media getting traction claiming black anti-racists are The Real Racists. Responding to what someone has written is one thing - policing it is quite another. Starmer's obviously going to use this to try and kick Abbott out of the party, and anyone who cares about racism or justice should stand by her in spite of how they feel about the email.

This post sums up exactly what is wrong with politics in this country.
In this instance those on the left bend over backwards to avoid calling out the sort of behaviour by Abbott that would have them livid and demanding heads roll if it was a right-wing politician. (The right do the same when it's one of their own behaving badly

Bad behaviour is bad behaviour - no matter who it's from or what their political allegiances are.

Too many people seek to defend the undefendable because it is by one of their own or to condemn a good idea by someone because they are from a difficult allegiance.

Politics should be about doing the best for the country, not about doing the best for those in your political tribe

People seem to have lost the big picture of doing what is best for our society in favour of doing what is best for their political tribe.

If Dominic Rabb bullied staff- he deserved to be sacked/ resign

If Dianne Abbot sent a "racist" letter to the paper, then she deserves to lose the party whip.

Both actions were wrong and both are not acceptable in society.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
That’s interesting. I read that the DNA difference between individuals (even of different races/ethnicities) was very small, less than 6% if my memory is correct.

6% seems quite high to me. I mean we're all basically functioning humans / primates / mammals / chordates / animals / living things. Some of us just look a bit different and can drink milk without getting the squits.

winjim

6% seems quite high to me. I mean we're all basically functioning humans / primates / mammals / chordates / animals / living things. Some of us just look a bit different and can drink milk without getting the squits.

My wife considers herself to be more highly evolved than I am due to me being non lactase persistent...

Ian H

Guru

It's about 0.1%.

winjim

It's about 0.1%.

Sounds about right. Don't we have something like 94% sequence similarity with a banana or something?

Edit: about 60% according to the briefest of searches. Dogs are at 94%.

Last edited:

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Sounds about right. Don't we have something like 94% sequence similarity with a banana or something?

Edit: about 60% according to the briefest of searches. Dogs are at 94%.

Humans and dogs? Or dogs and bananas? What about lambananas?

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Nothing to see here, folks...

20230424_132521.jpg

Reactions: C R

matticus

Guru
Nothing to see here, folks...

View attachment 3727

Have you read it?? I thought it was quite revealing ... but certainly not "inspiring" :laugh:

The Fuhrer comment is actually at odds with most of the text, as he spinelessly blames other people for not doing things, trying to play others off against each-other; certainly not owning his decisions!

matticus

Guru

The % figure doesn't matter. And most of the differences don't matter. It's just that one bit in bold - appearance is everything in this context.

• Sad
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom