Why are there so few right wing comedians?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
I think audiences tend to be mixed. I wouldn't describe myself as left wing, more woolly liberal but I enjoy a whole host of comedians and satirical programmes whether its Mark Steele / Mark Thomas / Nish Kumar or Simon Evans and Geoff Norcott.
Being an erudite and well-read fellow, I of course also enjoy a wide range of opinions comedy.
For a while I thought I enjoyed really left-wing fellows ... then I saw Alexei Sayle the week before Covid. He's clever. He's funny. But the bile he spouted about tories and the wealthy ... well, it was just bile. It wasn't funny, and I cringed while my neighbours howled with laughter.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Englishman, Irisman and Scotsman.........

So there don't exist any 'right wing' jokes which aren't so offensive that you daren't tell them in full? And right wing is synonymous with racist?

Back to the thread title, could we say the same about other forms of art? Art does after all exist to reflect and to scrutinize society and to try to help us understand ourselves and our role within it. If we're to take the sort of bastardised concepts of left and right which I'm still not sure I agree with but which seem to be in use in some quarters, then such scrutiny and societal self reflection would seem to be an inherently left wing idea. This is undoubtedly skewed by my own biases but I wonder what we would consider the balance of left and right wing artists in forms other than comedy.

So there don't exist any 'right wing' jokes which aren't so offensive that you daren't tell them in full? And right wing is synonymous with racist?
Haven't seen/read that comedian, i'm responding to the point where you say ''right wing is synonymous with racist''

Nope that is the leftish lie that keeps on getting repeated, but if you remove all prejudices and just read what is written/said etc. Anything on the left is the most racist, it's just covered up under screams they are anti-racist, anti-facist or the ''they started first'' defense. Two wrongs never make one right, in modern London terms, they just result in two body bags and stab victims..

Like i said before i think the biggest issue is with wanting to class everything, waiting to insert a set of norms which has lead o cancel culture. Because we already have that set of norms and it called the law. The thing is real comedy might offend someone, real comedy might not be liked by everyone, some might think a certain comedian is an absolute @sshole. However the law says that as long as they person doesn't break any laws he should be able to perform. And if you don't like it you simply can choose not to buy an ticket.

But these days it's more complicated, because if the ''union of we feel what we think we now is right for you theaters and such'' decides to ban a certain comedian, the choice whether or not to buy an ticket for said comedian is taken away, we have taken a step further towards totalitarian left that is unofficially idolized in schools, university's etc. and freedom is further limited, further because the inability to stop terrorist attacks, like Bataclan, Charlie Hebdo, Manchester Arena has already limited the topics comedians joke about. Because the prospect of being an lifelong target like Salman Rushdie for example isn't that great.

So instead of claiming an comedian is left or right or just in the middle wouldn't it be better to wonder whether we want this ''let's decide whats good for others'' attitude?

Last edited:

winjim

Nope that is the leftish lie that keeps on getting repeated, but if you remove all prejudices and just read what is written/said etc.

I literally did. He didn't finish it. That's the joke.

More teasing than outright joking I suppose but you get my point...

I literally did. He didn't finish it. That's the joke.

More teasing than outright joking I suppose but you get my point...
To be honest i haven't seen or read that comedian have edited my post to clarify where exactly i was responding too, as my post was not about that particular comedian.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
There are several hundred at Westminster at the moment, and are often on the telly.

winjim

To be honest i haven't seen or read that comedian have edited my post to clarify where exactly i was responding too, as my post was not about that particular comedian.

You haven't heard of him? He's the fourth most prolific poster on the forum.

matticus

Guru
Haven't seen/read that comedian, i'm responding to the point where you say ''right wing is synonymous with racist''

Nope that is the leftish lie that keeps on getting repeated, but if you remove all prejudices and just read what is written/said etc. Anything on the left is the most racist, it's just covered up under screams they are anti-racist, anti-facist or the ''they started first'' defense. Two wrongs never make one right, in modern London terms, they just result in two body bags and stab victims..

Like i said before i think the biggest issue is with wanting to class everything, waiting to insert a set of norms which has lead o cancel culture. Because we already have that set of norms and it called the law. The thing is real comedy might offend someone, real comedy might not be liked by everyone, some might think a certain comedian is an absolute @sshole. However the law says that as long as they person doesn't break any laws he should be able to perform. And if you don't like it you simply can choose not to buy an ticket.

But these days it's more complicated, because if the ''union of we feel what we think we now is right for you theaters and such'' decides to ban a certain comedian, the choice whether or not to buy an ticket for said comedian is taken away, we have taken a step further towards totalitarian left that is unofficially idolized in schools, university's etc. and freedom is further limited, further because the inability to stop terrorist attacks, like Bataclan, Charlie Hebdo, Manchester Arena has already limited the topics comedians joke about. Because the prospect of being an lifelong target like Salman Rushdie for example isn't that great.

So instead of claiming an comedian is left or right or just in the middle wouldn't it be better to wonder whether we want this ''let's decide whats good for others'' attitude?

I bet this guy listens to Wagner.

Ian H

Guru
Being an erudite and well-read fellow, I of course also enjoy a wide range of opinions comedy.
For a while I thought I enjoyed really left-wing fellows ... then I saw Alexei Sayle the week before Covid. He's clever. He's funny. But the bile he spouted about tories and the wealthy ... well, it was just bile. It wasn't funny, and I cringed while my neighbours howled with laughter.
It's reassuring to know that Sayle is as angry as ever.

winjim

I bet this guy listens to Wagner.

wagner-performing-on-stage-at-the-x-factor-live-at-wembley-arena-london-D6A2WR.jpg

Top Bottom