Wild camping banned on Dartmoor...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
I was under the impression it was illegal across England. Scotland being only country it was possible.

It's been understood as being permitted in (most) areas of DNP for many years .

Under certain guidelines such as not visible from a dwelling and being several hundred yards from a road, leave no trace and so on.

The latest ruling has said that overnight stays no longer come under 'recreation' .

Hopefully that will be get overturned at appeal, as camping out very much is part of recreation for many of us.

As it stands it in threatens the viability of events such as Ten Tors and DoE expeditions, alongside just everyday people enjoying an innocent overnight trip .

Elsewhere in England you're not supposed to wildcamp but it's a civil matter not criminal (yet)

But of course plenty of us still do it - just more discreetly than we'd hitherto had to do it on Dartmoor.

mudsticks

Squire
The army (who oversee the event) have emailed all Ten Tors group managers to say that until further clarification is sought then there is no overnight camping allowed on DNP -except in those small areas controlled by the MoD

Ten tors teams don't usually start their overnight training for the event until the spring, but the ruling has already had an effect on young people and their freedom to undertake what should be seen as positive form of recreation.

Hopefully things will get sorted.

mudsticks

Squire
As of today, Dartmoor NP in consultation with 'commoners' and the Duchy have come to an agreement that broadly permits LNT camping on the majority of moor under the same guidelines as before.
And gives permission for Ten Tors and DoE groups to do so too.

It's not a legal ruling but as an interim measure is much better than before.

I'd like to think this has happened so quickly partly because they were faced with the mass protest scheduled for this Saturday.

-Which hasn't been cancelled afaik..

Sure there's many who will still go along to make a point.

As of today, Dartmoor NP in consultation with 'commoners' and the Duchy have come to an agreement that broadly permits LNT camping on the majority of moor under the same guidelines as before.

According to a right to roam activist on R4 just now the agreement involves the park authority paying the landowners for the privilege. If so, it's only a temporary concession and possibly a costly one.

mudsticks

Squire
According to a right to roam activist on R4 just now the agreement involves the park authority paying the landowners for the privilege. If so, it's only a temporary concession and possibly a costly one.
Yup like you (and I) said it's only a temporary measure.
This needs to go back to court really.

But for those people just starting out on their overnight staying on the moor, it's better than nowt.

Those of us who did it anyway, were probably going to carry on as before anyhow.

mudsticks

Squire
Not sure if there is an official, fact-checked score, but it was well over 300. 🥳

🥳Indeed

Well it would seem that even folks like me can omit to type a zero from time to time.

I guessed the comma after the 3 would be enough of a clue for the mathematically challenged 🧐

Screenshot_20230122-215108.png

Top Bottom