Will Smith. What a knobber. Discuss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Veteran
You can’t hit people on live TV just for a little joke. He’s a megastar, he knows the score about presenting awards and making jokes.

His reputation seems to be in tatters.
Hashtag toxic masculinity.

Milzy

You can’t hit people on live TV just for a little joke. He’s a megastar, he knows the score about presenting awards and making jokes.

His reputation seems to be in tatters.
Hashtag toxic masculinity.
LOL 😂 so WOKE you’re really funny. Will Smith is a nice guy.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Veteran
Maybe he is a nice guy. He’s certainly cultivated a nice guy persona.
But he didn’t look very nice last night, and resorting to violence is a terrible image to portray. His anger and shouting was a terrible look. He’s gone down hugely in my estimation. (Which I’m sure he’s very worried about)

Mugshot

Über Member
The BBC refers to the gentlemen, throughout their article, by their surnames.
Now, I know Will Smith didn't slap The Rock, but I can't get that image out of my mind.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
On a serious note, look at how this whole thing is rooted in misogyny. Divorced serial adulterer Chris Rock makes a joke about gender politics within Javier Bardem's marriage, at the expense of, and without naming his wife. The punchline involves Will Smith and he then moves on to joke about Smith's wife's illness. Smith initially laughs but then sees his wife's reaction and goes into alpha male mode to slap Rock.

It's all a bit distasteful and nobody comes out of it well.

On a serious note, look at how this whole thing is rooted in misogyny. Divorced serial adulterer Chris Rock makes a joke about gender politics within Javier Bardem's marriage, at the expense of, and without naming his wife. The punchline involves Will Smith and he then moves on to joke about Smith's wife's illness. Smith initially laughs but then sees his wife's reaction and goes into alpha male mode to slap Rock.

It's all a bit distasteful and nobody comes out of it well.
AFAIK, This is not the first time Rock has taken a pop at Jada PS.
Maybe some lessons need to be learned the hard way...
Rock was waaaaay out of order here.
I'd have more than slapped-him....

Last edited:
It was hilarious :laugh:.Funny thing was that everybody there were still laughing when he got slapped.
I wonder what would have happened if Ricky Gervais had still been hosting it and he would have made that remark?

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Veteran
AFAIK, This is not the first time Rock has taken a pop at Jada PS.
Maybe some lessons need to be learned the hard way...
Rock was waaaaay out of order here.
I'd have more than slapped-him....

If Smith had walked on stage and spoken to the cameras explaining the situation then I would agree with you.
But punching and shouting about disrespecting his wife is wrong. That’s the sort of thing that goes on in pub car parks.

I've just watched it, and have to admit it wasn't a pleasant thing to see. I understand his reaction but I think would have been better to get up on stage and demand that Chris Rock apologised to his wife. Or towered over him and invited him to make more comments in the parking lot after the show; publicly put him in his place without using actual violence.

It seems like Rock was trying to emulate Ricky Gervaise in his close-to-the-bone humour. Gervais does it very well, Rock clearly has a lot to learn.

I've just watched it, and have to admit it wasn't a pleasant thing to see. I understand his reaction but I think would have been better to get up on stage and demand that Chris Rock apologised to his wife. Or towered over him and invited him to make more comments in the parking lot after the show; publicly put him in his place without using actual violence.

It seems like Rock was trying to emulate Ricky Gervaise in his close-to-the-bone humour. Gervais does it very well, Rock clearly has a lot to learn.
I suspect we can all come-up with better or more effective scenarios sitting with our Internet. I'm sure Smith can too. Not so easy in the heat and high emotions of the moment and with the obvious prior history.

matticus

Guru
If Smith had walked on stage and spoken to the cameras explaining the situation then I would agree with you.
Jeez, do you really think that is likely?

"hello everyone, I'm Will Smith.
<winning smile, straightens bow-tie>
You might see me pick up an award later, and you've almost certainly seen me in successful movies and/or pop videos.
I'd like to explain to you why I've just run up on stage, my face red with rage, clenched fists, heart-rate through the roof.

Well it's because the honourable member Mr Rock here said some things that I felt were not entirely appropriate.

...etc
...etc

Top Bottom