A bit rude?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

If Duff had been an anti-vaxxer/UKIP/Brexiteer/keep immigrants out devotee, had acted in precisely the same way towards the police, sullen and uncooperative, would the thread run as this one has, or would the level of sympathy be somewhat diminished?
Of course it wouldn't.

Of course it wouldn't.
Correct, the level of sympathy would not be diminished. Any person in similar circumstances who was treated in such a way by the police would have the full sympathy of the vast majority of members on this forum, regardless of their political persuasions.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
It's a fundamental part of democracy that we shouldn't allow the police free reign to go round duffing up and mistreating whoever they like. We give them additional powers but in return we should expect those powers to be used correctly and proportionately, and for those who use them to be accountable for their actions.

D

Deleted member 28

Rather than speculate about other people’s responses to hypotheticals, why don’t you explain what you meant by your own ”repercussions” comment? Do you think that Dr. Duff deserved her treatment?
She wound the Police up by being a nause and they got their own back by ridiculing her and embarrassing her, it's not really on but that's what happened.

You understand the term I assume?

D

Deleted member 28

Correct, the level of sympathy would not be diminished. Any person in similar circumstances who was treated in such a way by the police would have the full sympathy of the vast majority of members on this forum, regardless of their political persuasions.
🤣

mudsticks

Squire

For me the key part is not necessarily about having sympathy for individual victims - although personally I do have that.

It's about being outraged that some officers think they can choose to behave like this for absolutely no good reason.

Then try to cover up and deny it.

They are paid - and expected by all of us to uphold the law - and are paid to maintain certain standards of behaviour and protect people from harm while they do that - that's their job - not to take liberties because they don't like someone's 'attitude' or political stance.

It becomes a downward spiral of mistrust, and the contract of cooperation - public to police is further diminished with every incident such as this .

Ultimately making their collective job harder, and all of us in society less safe - if we don't trust them.

A large proportion of women don't believe they will get decent treatment at the hands of the police if they go to them for help, nor do a substantial segment of the population who are black.

That needs sorting out if we are going to have a cohesive society that trusts the police to behave properly.

I expect the vast majority of serving police officers feel the same way about these cases of poor behaviour - it diminishes them all.

She wound the Police up by being a nause and they got their own back by ridiculing her and embarrassing her, it's not really on but that's what happened.

We know (now) that's what happened, after Dr Duff fought long and hard to be heard, but that's not the point is it?

"Their own back"

Clearly that's your own schoolyard level of mentality.

No big surprise there.

But that's also the schoolyard, level of 'professionalism' you'd expect from a police 'service' while holding an individual in custody, in a supposedly civilised society.??

A service your (and my) hard earned taxes go towards funding.

If enough people shrug and think it's ok then it will only get worse.

And more daughters of someone, get the same kind of treatment meted out by police officers 'getting their own back'

I asked you before but you chose to ignore (of course) but what if it was your daughter..??

More schoolyard mentality incoming..

Which yes generally includes a few of these 🤣🤣🤣

A fairly sure sign were in the presence of the 'hard of thinking'

So you think the ridicule was not really on. What about the use of force and intimate search that was part of the same incident? Was that proportionate? What should happen to the perpetrators? If that's a bit abstract and too divorced from your own reality, try imagining that someone close to you, maybe a close relative, was thought to be "a bit of a nause." Would you be equally sanguine?

D

Deleted member 28

So you think the ridicule was not really on. What about the use of force and intimate search that was part of the same incident? Was that proportionate? What should happen to the perpetrators? If that's a bit abstract and too divorced from your own reality, try imagining that someone close to you, maybe a close relative, was thought to be "a bit of a nause." Would you be equally sanguine?
Why are you remotely interested in my view's, because there's no one else on here to argue the toss with anymore?

You poke the Bear, you'll get bit.

If my Daughter was the type I would support her but also point out the possible outcome of her actions.

Rusty Nails

Country Member

In your own terms you have said that you just come on here to wind up people (aka being a nause), and that is OK and harmless enough if it gives you some juvenile pleasure, but your inability, or unwillingness, to admit that such a degrading assault on a young woman who was breaking no laws, deserves more of a comment than just "not really on" is a new low even for you. :notworthy:

mudsticks

Squire
It's a fundamental part of democracy that we shouldn't allow the police free reign to go round duffing up and mistreating whoever they like. We give them additional powers but in return we should expect those powers to be used correctly and proportionately, and for those who use them to be accountable for their actions.

For anyone with a mind to forget how hard won, and even died for, our right to vote, protest, unionise, have a decent welfare state, equal protection under law, and benefit from a national health service actually was.

Nip along to the "Peoples History Museum" next time you're up that way..

https://phm.org.uk/

It's good to be reminded often how far we've come, what we stand to lose if we stop paying attention.

The cafe is really good value too 👍🏼

D

Deleted member 28

In your own terms you have said that you just come on here to wind up people (aka being a nause), and that is OK and harmless enough if it gives you some juvenile pleasure, but your inability, or unwillingness, to admit that such a degrading assault on a young woman who was breaking no laws, deserves more of a comment than just "not really on" is a new low even for you. :notworthy:
You're entitled to your opinion old pal.

Top Bottom