A Stewart Lee thread for theClaud

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Reading around the chip

Thanks! I'm already across it! :laugh:

theclaud

Reading around the chip
In case anyone is genuinely wondering what on earth this is about, Stewart Lee's newsletter (which is, pretty much by definition, for people interested in what SL has to say) contained a list of his cultural consumption in the past year, and beyond that a list of people or things pertaining to that year which he either liked ('On the Pedestal') or hated ('In the Pedal Bin'). You can find it some way down the page here. This seems to have caused a stir in the Twittersphere.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
He's got Maureen Lipman on his In the Bin list, as well as Darrell Maclaine, who is a small time actor more or less just starting out in comedy, who seems totally innocuous as far as I can tell. Maclaine has a channel on You Tube (TV Themes Go Pop) where he posted short songs during lockdown of pop singers singing TV themes, like Paul McCartney singing 'Are You Being Served?'. Quite funny. Can't imagine what he has done to deserve being on the list.

He's also got Nimco Ali on the Bin list. She has spent years campaigning against FGM and supporting survivors.

I've never found Stewart Lee funny, but comedy is subjective and some people obviously do. At least he has Barbara Nice on the Pedestal list - seen her Raffle show a few times and she is very funny, without being snarky.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
He's got Maureen Lipman on his In the Bin list, as well as Darrell Maclaine, who is a small time actor more or less just starting out in comedy, who seems totally innocuous as far as I can tell. Maclaine has a channel on You Tube (TV Themes Go Pop) where he posted short songs during lockdown of pop singers singing TV themes, like Paul McCartney singing 'Are You Being Served?'. Quite funny. Can't imagine what he has done to deserve being on the list.

He's also got Nimco Ali on the Bin list. She has spent years campaigning against FGM and supporting survivors.

I've never found Stewart Lee funny, but comedy is subjective and some people obviously do. At least he has Barbara Nice on the Pedestal list - seen her Raffle show a few times and she is very funny, without being snarky.

Any self-respecting bin list should have Lipman on it, IMO. Maclaine is someone I had actually never heard of, but it only takes a quick Twitter search to clear it up...

View: https://twitter.com/darrellmaclaine/status/1418900070796300297?t=PD4YhkTzXapzkaqJOzNHbA&s=19

View: https://youtu.be/0YE9Kthyaco

Why has Maclaine got 10.5K followers, btw? It can't be on the strength of his YouTube channel.

Ali is Johnson and Symonds' bestie and a massive Tory. Maybe he's pissed off that she broke lockdown rules to spend Christmas with them last year, or that she excuses his racism, misogyny and homophobia in the media, or that she gets government adviser jobs through her mates, or that someone who is supposed to be advocating for refugee women backs and supports Priti Patel. There's quite a lot to go on...

theclaud

Reading around the chip
LOL I see Maclaine has deleted his Streisand-effect Tweet now anyway. Everyone would've just skimmed over his name in the list and been none the wiser, but he had to double down...

OP
OP
matticus

matticus

Guru
Can anyone explain this one:
“He has thrown two heads but he missed the third catch and the coin rolled under the wardrobe. We are still looking. On our knees. With a torch.” A J King, Amazon

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Any self-respecting bin list should have Lipman on it, IMO. Maclaine is someone I had actually never heard of, but it only takes a quick Twitter search to clear it up...

View: https://twitter.com/darrellmaclaine/status/1418900070796300297?t=PD4YhkTzXapzkaqJOzNHbA&s=19

View: https://youtu.be/0YE9Kthyaco

Why has Maclaine got 10.5K followers, btw? It can't be on the strength of his YouTube channel.

Ali is Johnson and Symonds' bestie and a massive Tory. Maybe he's pissed off that she broke lockdown rules to spend Christmas with them last year, or that she excuses his racism, misogyny and homophobia in the media, or that she gets government adviser jobs through her mates, or that someone who is supposed to be advocating for refugee women backs and supports Priti Patel. There's quite a lot to go on...

Maclaine's You Tube channel went viral during the first lockdown after being featured by a couple of news outlets. That's how I found it, anyway. He's done little else. Sounds a bit like Lee read Maclaine's tweet and thought, 'I'll show you bullying, mate'. Considering that a lot of people find Lee unfunny and insufferable, it seems a bit childish to pick out a very minor entertainer to bring negative attention to, especiallyfor one tweet. Stewart seems a bit thin skinned if one obscure tweet struck such a nerve.

Nimco Ali being on the list sounds like guilt by association then. Nobody is ever ideologically pure enough for the Left anymore. I would have thought there were people more worthy of inclusion on the Naughty list than a campaigner against FGM, but it seems not.

I suspect most people will continue to regard Maureen Lipman as a bit of a national treasure despite being on the Naughty list.

OP
OP
matticus

matticus

Guru

What I love about Mr Lee is that I can disagree with some of his political comment, but still find him funny (and I do broadly align with his politics, as it happens). Most of his humour is more subtle than simple party line stuff, much of it isn't political at all. 90% of his act is about the meta, or putting himself down; he is almost always punching up, and the joke is often him being bitter about someone more successful (or younger), poking at them with his nasty "so-called jokes".
Almost no-one will think Mark Steel doesn't get this. A lot of the tweets on that thread are more ambiguous, which is how Lee would want it, I think. I hadn't even seen the whole list, but could still enjoy the bantz. It all gets so self-referential that it's impossible to take offence; even a few of the comments here ( https://www.stewartlee.co.uk/online-critiques/ ) are clearly ironic call-backs to Lee's own routines.

( If you really want a spite-filled, right-on, leftie, unironic Tory-hating routine, go watch Alexei Sayle. He's very funny, but I don't see the point of some of his rants; still, they went down a storm with his regular crowd! )

FishFright

I've enjoyed Lee's stuff since Fist Of Fun with Richard Herring. He's great value but takes himself way too seriously but that's half the fun for I'm sure. I'm more of as Richard Herring fan nowadays though.

Cirrus

Maclaine's You Tube channel went viral during the first lockdown after being featured by a couple of news outlets. That's how I found it, anyway. He's done little else. Sounds a bit like Lee read Maclaine's tweet and thought, 'I'll show you bullying, mate'. Considering that a lot of people find Lee unfunny and insufferable, it seems a bit childish to pick out a very minor entertainer to bring negative attention to, especiallyfor one tweet. Stewart seems a bit thin skinned if one obscure tweet struck such a nerve.
I quite like some of Lee's stuff but in this instance he is coming across as a bit of a Narcissus pseudonarcissus

Top Bottom