A warmer welcome for refugees.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I'm not sure I would attach any significance to that other than people turned out to see a massive puppet.

We saw the ones in Liverpool in 2012 where the story was built around a diver looking for his niece after the Titanic disaster. It was packed and probably 100k people lining the route.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
I'm not sure I would attach any significance to that other than people turned out to see a massive puppet.

We saw the ones in Liverpool in 2012 where the story was built around a diver looking for his niece after the Titanic disaster. It was packed and probably 100k people lining the route.

Well it raises awareness, and some funds will be raised too.

Of course it's easy to be desperately cynical about all these sorts of things.

But it is the case that some people just haven't thought about how it must feel to be a refugee, or bothered to find out about why people become refugees in the first place.

If it educates a few folks, on all that then it's a force for good.

And some people attended an event, and had some fun, that's not actually a bad thing.

There's also that horrible British disease going round at the moment..

No not covid.

But the other one.
The one that implies it's uncool, or lame, or whatever to give a shoot about anyone, or anything, outside of your own immediate sphere.

You know the one where people accuse others of 'virtue signalling' and all that, if they dare so much as to to get off their arrisses and actually do something, for anyone or be anything else.

It might, just might , serve to counteract some of that..:okay:

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
Little Amal could backfire.
While our own Punch and Judy, victims of politically correct cancel culture, can't find a platform anywhere for their slapstick violence-against-women routines, we roll out the carpet for oversized immigrant puppets..
This isn't what I voted Leave for.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Little Amal could backfire.
While our own Punch and Judy, victims of politically correct cancel culture, can't find a platform anywhere for their slapstick violence-against-women routines, we roll out the carpet for oversized immigrant puppets..
This isn't what I voted Leave for.

Along the lines of the anti anti racists.

Suggesting we should really shushh down with the anti racism talk..

Because it was making all those 'moderately' anti racist people become a tad more racist..

Or is this more about the risk of Amal being mistaken for a mobile 'wicker woman' all too conveniently positioned to become an earthly, sacrifice, to ensure the return of bounteous produce to the "Ancient Aisles of T(r)esco*".

* Dargnabit, this is the first time I've actually been peeved at the demise of 'Summerfields' the grocers..

That would have worked so much better :cry:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
For a moment then I thought I read Trago Mills...

Nooooooo.

The guy who ran / runs that, is basically the Tim Martin , of the cheap tat world..

Took out full page spreads in The Western Morning News to splurge his anti EU diatribes'.

The shops were like the dementors lair (what was it called??) in HP..

"Abandon your soul, all yea who enter here"

If you ever had one..

Very scarey places, where people apparently went for a "day out"

Terrifying to consider what sort of hell holes they were escaping, to feel that TM was a preferable alternative :wacko:

Nooooooo.

The guy who ran / runs that, is basically the Tim Martin , of the cheap tat world..

Took out full page spreads in The Western Morning News to splurge his anti EU diatribes'.

The shops were like the dementors lair (what was it called??) in HP..

"Abandon your soul, all yea who enter here"

If you ever had one..

Very scarey places, where people apparently went for a "day out"

Terrifying to consider what sort of hell holes they were escaping, to feel that TM was a preferable alternative :wacko:
My DM reading mother loves it there….

My DM reading mother loves it there….

When my daughter lived in Plymouth (or later Saltash) we thought it an amusing outing; just for the tat and oddities you've not seen in years.

Mention of Trago Mills also reminds me of the Trago Mills SAH1 aircraft. I also seem to remember the used to feature in Diesel Car Magazine back in the nineties as the place for cheap fuel in Devon/Cornwall.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
A little bit of uncalled for snobbishness creeping in here. :sad:

I've been twice to the one in Merthyr when it first opened. Not bad for decorating and gardening stuff. Not much else that interested me, so haven't been for two years, but plenty of people go there for the prices rather than the top quality and the ambience, including several of my relatives who aren't rolling in cash. There is a huge market for this sort of low price general provision store as shown by Wilkinsons, B&M etc.

A good, long established local bakers sells hot roast pork baps there. Much better imo than the food I get in the cafes in Waitrose, Sainsburys and John Lewis etc.

I've been twice to the one in Merthyr when it first opened. Not bad for decorating and gardening stuff. Not much else that interested me, so haven't been for two years, but plenty of people go there for the prices rather than the top quality and the ambience, including several of my relatives who aren't rolling in cash. There is a huge market for this sort of low price general provision store as shown by Wilkinsons, B&M etc.

A good, long established local bakers sells hot roast pork baps there. Much better imo than the food I get in the cafes in Waitrose, Sainsburys and John Lewis etc.
Not snobbishness so much as being sick of being dragged around the place over very many years…boy and man….

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire

Fret not, we've not suddenly gone all Hyacinth Bouquet.:rolleyes:

It's just a bit of a longstanding Devonian joke .

My main objection besides the piles of weird tat and some kind of sad on site 'mini zoo' that used to be there, was the fervent anti Europe stance, and the flagrant disregard for planning regs, which seemed to be unenforceable on Mr Trago, hence the considerable acreage of Cardboard Disney Castle plonked alongside the A30 in otherwise unspoiled countryside.

Anyway, I think I've lost track of quite how we ended up in "The Emporium of Mostly Pointless Shoot " on a thread about refugee awareness .

:wacko:

Archie_tect

Fret not, we've not suddenly gone all Hyacinth Bouquet.:rolleyes:

It's just a bit of a longstanding Devonian joke .

My main objection besides the piles of weird tat and some kind of sad on site 'mini zoo' that used to be there, was the fervent anti Europe stance, and the flagrant disregard for planning regs, which seemed to be unenforceable on Mr Trago, hence the considerable acreage of Cardboard Disney Castle plonked alongside the A30 in otherwise unspoiled countryside.

Anyway, I think I've lost track of quite how we ended up in "The Emporium of Mostly Pointless Shoot " on a thread about refugee awareness .

:wacko:
My fault, sorry... as you were.

Top Bottom