An Englishman Abroad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I had the reverse of that situation, a few years ago. We had parked in a French Aire, to have our lunch, but, planned to move on, after lunch. We got the last space available. A French registered motorhome arrived, but, couldn't get parked in a "bay", because there were none left available.

My schoolboy French is very limited, but, I spent five minutes, working out how I could tell the other driver, in French, that we would be leaving shortly, and, he could then have our space.

When I spoke to the "French" driver, giving my carefully rehearsed speech, he looked baffled. I assumed that I had got it all wrong, which would have been no surprise.

It turned out, he was a Brit, who lived in France, owned a French Registered Motorhome, but, spoke even less French than I did! ;)

I think you can file that story under "did not happen" ;)

I think it’s more parable than reportage.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Like all the best novels, it contains a larger truth.
It's nothing like any of the best novels. He's taken it from a well worn cliché, rather than a larger truth, and didn't know when to stop milking it.
Good for a patronising laugh from the more sophisticated among us at those Little Englanders though, who probably voted for Brexit.

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Guru
It's nothing like any of the best novels. He's taken it from a well worn cliché, rather than a larger truth, and didn't know when to stop milking it.
Good for a patronising laugh from the more sophisticated among us at those Little Englanders though, who probably voted for Brexit.

Ah well.

multitool

Shaman
Also, it's RSArcher. Super successful hunk, with a model wife and perfect kids, who lives in a chateau in France...

theclaud

Reading around the chip

I think that's the joke...

20230522_202924.jpg

Top Bottom