Arthur Labinjo-Hughes: A life cut short by cruelty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
There's no need to be so hard on yourself :rolleyes:

You haven't been asked for a solution, just an opinion on this "deeper malady" which you introduced to the topic.

FWIW, I doubt there is "a" solution, but more likely a series of steps that have to be taken, which will not provide a quick fix.

Where to start?

I would agree, it is doubtful that there is “magic bullet” single solution.

I think, one of the problems is that “SOME” clients could be encouraged to help themselves a bit more. But, this does not apply to ALL, and, would require a judgement call on the part of the Social Worker(s), and, perhaps, other agencies. This is never going to happen whilst the penalty for any mistake is for the “front line” to be made a scapegoat. It is not the only “malady” I think exists, but, it is one of them.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Where to start?

I think, one of the problems is that “SOME” clients could be encouraged to help themselves a bit more. But, this does not apply to ALL, and, would require a judgement call on the part of the Social Worker(s), and, perhaps, other agencies. This is never going to happen whilst the penalty for any mistake is for the “front line” to be made a scapegoat. It is not the only “malady” I think exists, but, it is one of them.
I agree with this, but even a step like this will require resources in terms of social services time and help to get the clients to the stage where they can do this unsupported.

I worry that the whole issue is going to continue as the political football that has been the fate of many people-based services such as Education, Law & Order, and the NHS with a lot of tinkering by governments to show they are not "the other lot" but not the will to spend the money on a national review, where the costs but not the benefits will be seen while they are in power

Where to start?

I think that if the bolded bit was workable it would be being done. You are though right that while there's a culture of blame and finding scapegoats nobody will go near it.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I think that if the bolded bit was workable it would be being done. You are though right that while there's a culture of blame and finding scapegoats nobody will go near it.

Well, I can tell you, from personal experience it is/was not being done. Before you tell me, I know, my one person experience is not statistically significant.

Top Bottom